• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly beating a dead horse: Dana 44 vs 29 spline 8.25"

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Looks like an XJ D44 is for sale near me at a very fair price, so now I've gotta ask... Is it worth scrapping my 29-spline 8.25" I bought for a bench build in favor of the Dana 44? My plans include the following:

• Disc brake swap - I was planning on doing a KJ disc swap onto the 8.25", as the only custom fabrication would be related to the brake hard lines if I don't have a complete donor KJ axle to work with. Would there be more/cheaper/better disc brake options with the Dana 44? My gut says yes, but I could very easily be wrong.
  • Detroit TrueTrac - The cheapest TrueTrac I can find for a 8.25" is $580, whereas I can find one for the Dana 44 for $440 or so. This cost saving alone would almost make up for the purchase price of the Dana 44.
  • 4.10 gears - I have no plans to go any lower, however, we all know that could change. From my understanding, the 8.25" cannot accommodate gear ratios of lower than 4.56, and can be trickier to set up properly than the Dana 44 with lower gears (that is, the 8.25" is more likely to have gear whine). Is this the case?

The only statistics I can even find in terms of strength differences between the two is that the Dana 44 is about 4% stronger than the 29-spline 8.25" (then again, this was also a "word-of-mouth" number I found in a forum post).

Let me know what you guys would think would be more worthwhile in the long run. I'd love to get rid of the C-clips, which makes me want the 44 a shade more.

no doubt the 44 wins
more gear options
more aftermarket support
more locker options
no lame c-clips
more splines
stronger gearset

all it doesnt have on the 8.25 is tube diameter.

but i see no problem with using an 8.25 to suit your needs either way

Makes sense... With regard to fitting the D44 with disc brakes, will I need to find a D44 donor or would the ZJ swap work? I get the feeling the axle tube bolt patterns from a D35C wouldn't match up.

they do make 4.88s for the 8.25 do a normal non naxja search and theres plenty of suppliers
Yep, was gonna say this... you need to grind either a gear tooth or the cross shaft to assemble it, but plenty of people do with no problems.

Is the 8.25 geared how you want it? Is the d44 geared how you want it? If one is and the other isn't that biases me towards the one that is, if both are or both aren't, I'd go for the d44.

Yep, was gonna say this... you need to grind either a gear tooth or the cross shaft to assemble it, but plenty of people do with no problems.

im pretty sure thats just if you want to install a lunchbox locker and was too lazy to remove the ring gear

Thanks for the input... In this case, both the 8.25" I own and the Dana 44 I'm looking at are bone stock - 3.55 gears and drum brakes, open diffs. It'll be a blank slate for each.

My roommate will be thrilled... There will be 3 axles in the garage until I can sell the spare 8.25". Fun times :)

Question on the XJ Dana 44 differential yoke - is it for 1350 or 1310 U-joints? I'm searching but can't seem to find a clear answer... I just bought a Tom Woods shaft for 1310 joints, so I'm hoping that worst-case scenario I could find a 1310-style 26-spline yoke for it.

*EDIT* Found a 1310 yoke for the D44 for $45 here:

http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/axle_&_differential.htm

Looks like a moot point now.

Both are great, but the d44 wins hands down due to aftermarket support.

I run a mildly built 8.25 (4.56's, aussie, zj disks, ruffstuff) but I bought the axle used, setup by someone else, and it is NOISY. Either cheap gears, or bad setup.

im pretty sure thats just if you want to install a lunchbox locker and was too lazy to remove the ring gear
Isn't the 8.25 a c clip axle that requires putting the cross shaft in after the axle shafts are in? I can't think of a way to get the carrier in on top of the pinion, then the ring gear on, then the shafts and clips and cross shaft in without grinding something off. On a d30, I definitely agree.

Isn't the 8.25 a c clip axle that requires putting the cross shaft in after the axle shafts are in? I can't think of a way to get the carrier in on top of the pinion, then the ring gear on, then the shafts and clips and cross shaft in without grinding something off. On a d30, I definitely agree.

Just did 4:56s on my 8.25 last week and I had to grind a tooth. I have a powertrax and there is no possible way to put the locker together before hand due to the c clips. I don't know if it would be different with an open diff but with a luchbox locker you have to grind a tooth..... And thier nice and quite too!

Based on these concerns, I guess it might be worth grabbing a D44 :)

I'm waiting on a NAXJA user to reply about a D44 he's currently selling, but I also found a D44 down in Marion, SC, that the guy is willing to sell me for $100. This is just the housing, brakes, and axle shafts - no carrier or gears. A caveat to this is the fact that he replaced the stock spring perches and shock mounts in order to fit it in a YJ (spring under axle)... So it'd take some custom fabrication. Might end up being a good chance to weld the perches on at the correct angle to eliminate the need for shims, and install some shock mount brackets that don't hang down quite so low.

oh lame, i didnt think that far in depth lol

Back