• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Pinion Guard?

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
I have been dragging the rear diff all over rocks lately and I am scared that I am going to break the pinion yoke or the U-joint or retainer straps. After searching I don't see any info. I am a certified welder and was thinking of bending some 1/2" plate into a U shape and welding it to the diff. I also want to weld a plate in front of the lip on the bottom so it will slide over the rocks better.

So, my main questions are:

Is it ok to weld to the diff.?

Has anyone made one before?(post pics)

Any aftermarket support for this?(that works well)

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Kinlaw

Here's how I did my D60:

PinionGuard3.jpg

PinionGuard4.jpg

Shave it and take a look a Rough-stuff's diff cover.Also see if you can drag up some pics of Nth-Degree's pinion slider!

Just saw this, but I was thinking of shaving the lip on mine and welding a skid to it along with some type of strap to bolt it closer to the yoke. What do you guys think?

What did you end up doing Kinlaw?

Josh

I was searching google for pinion guards for Dana and this came up.
Looks nice I really want to put one on mine but just couldn't find an easy way. I might steel the clamp on concept.

Also I looked through your thread, but I wasn't able to post in the Advance Fabrication and Engineering section I don't know why that is blocked for me. Is there a minimum number of post first to get in there? Sorry I just don't travel NAXJA too often. Usually on Pirate.

I just wanted to say RCman you have some nice design and fabrication skills. To bad you weren't a little closer

~Justin

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956040&page=92

Here's how I did my D60:

PinionGuard3.jpg

PinionGuard4.jpg

Haha. Thank you.
I guess I try and be humble about it. I really didn't do much more than take my time and think everything out. I enjoy the build almost more than using it.

I like the holes for access to the bolts on the u-joint!

Haha. Thank you.
I guess I try and be humble about it. I really didn't do much more than take my time and think everything out. I enjoy the build almost more than using it.

So how does it actually work in the rocks? Ever rotate or move at all?
Looks beefy enough that it wouldn't move but thought I would ask.

I looked at my 60 today it's not as round as I thought it has a large oil passage underneath looks like you must have done a lot of coping to make it fit.

So how does it actually work in the rocks? Ever rotate or move at all?
Looks beefy enough that it wouldn't move but thought I would ask.

I looked at my 60 today it's not as round as I thought it has a large oil passage underneath looks like you must have done a lot of coping to make it fit.
I dropped the whole rear weight of the Jeep on it a couple times and it hasn't moved at all. Seems to be pretty well put.

Yeah, it was a lot of fitting to get it nice and snug and tight. I used a cardboard mockup first. Even before I clamped together with the bolts it wouldn't move in any direction. Takes a bit of time to get the fit just perfect but then again I was only making one of them. :)

PinionGuardIdea2.jpg

PinionGuard2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they are, 8.25s are very stout axles that are pretty damn common. Since the release of 4.88 gears for them I think other companies are starting to develop more products for them such as selectable locker brands. Since most can be made to handle 35s (esp now with the proper running gear ratio) I think a lot of xj and dakota guys are looking to see a bigger aftermarket for them.

I'd rather run my 8.25 than an xj 44, if I happen to break an axle shaft I can EASILY find a JY shaft with no trouble. Finding an xj 44 shaft from a JY isn't so easy, unless your running aftermarket shafts and keeping your stocks as spares but even then you would have to replace your spare then. Plus out of the box the 8.25 housing is very strong, disks can be adapted pretty easily also.

That said, I'd love a pinion gaurd for my 8.25.... cough cough Ruff stuff cough cough!! RS products are beefy and I'd love for them to make one!!

Back