• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project XJ Overland

slimpartywagon

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know where to begin this story. Does this story start in Decmber of 1989 when I rebuilt my first Willies CJ3A with the help of my dad when I was only 11 years old? OR does it start a couple years (and jJeeps) later when I purchased a basket case 1957 Williys L6-226 Pick up (which I traded strait a crossed for a 1960 Willys OVerland Wagon). No Matter I have been a die hard Jeep fan for all my life. I have owned every thing from the vintage CJ to a 1999 TJ. In my Jeep world, I mainly do restrorations with very minimal modding, although ever single Jeep I have re-built, I wheeled.

No on to the Story. Back in 2001, I bought a 1998 Cherokee Sport. I drove it and wheeled it stock. IT was the best Jeep (and car) I ever owned. I had plans to lift it, add some lockers. Basically build amild trail rig but awsome street pounder. But in 2003 I lost my Jeep in my divorce and spent the next 6 year Jeepless. (this was the longest I have ever been with out a Jeep, let alone a 4x4). In August of 2008 my luck changed, I was driving a 1989 Ford f-150 extended cab from Austin Texas to Albany NY, when my engine developed a knock in Kansas. I decided to make a detour back to Colorado to Fix the engine, but upon getting to my in-laws I realized my Engine was beyond toast and I couldn't get it fixed in myshort amount of time. As I was staying with my in-laws, my wife was driving around town getting quotes on shipping our stuff to NY and flying when she came a crossed a 1990 Cherokee. I went and looked at it, but it was very beaten.. but sitting right next to it was a 1989 Cherokee Limited for $800... it needed a Radiator, but nothing else was wrong with it (or so said the sales man). I pulled out my wad of cash, and we hit the road... I was once again a Jeep Owner.

On our trip out east from Colorado, The engine started over heating, I replaced teh head gasket wich helped for a few months, but once the weatehr turned cold, the Cherokee decided I was going to have to walk for the rest of teh winter. From December 2008 to August 2009 the jeep sat in shops getting the engine looked at to find out why it was overheating.. I spent close to 6000 in diagnostic bills, only to find out I had a bad heater line.

The whole time my Jeep was in different shops, I was deployed to afgahnistan so I wasn't able to do any of the work myslef (otherwise I would have). Once I return, I spend another 1000 undoing everything the first shop did to my preciouse jeep. Now almost a year later the jeep is still running decent. (still have a few bugs to wok out) Things are finally starting to look up.. my wife has her own car now, so I have finally been given the goahead to BUild my Ultimate Jeep. I was leaning at getting anotehr Willys Wagon, or a YJ (my favorite two jeeps I ever owned) but after much dleiberation and compramizing (mostly on my part) I decided to go with my already purchased XJ.

My plans on this build are to go back to the past and build a wagon out of the Cherokee. I am going to fab up a Willies looking front end while retaining the XJ rear.

NOT mine, but looks very close to my starting package
1989Cherokee.jpg

Concept oof what I plan on doing
1989CherokeeOverlandDriverSide.jpg

Concept oof what I plan on doing
1989CherokeeOverlandDriverSide.jpg
Epic Photoshop! I kid, but mildly amusing nonetheless :)

Good story, glad to hear you're getting back in the Jeep world... My journey started with an '87 Grand Wagoneer, which I was forced to sell in 2001... I got my 2001 XJ a little over a year ago and am extremely glad I did.

Question, though... There aren't many details regarding the plans you're asking about. Are the yellow areas where you plan to armor or paint? I like the idea you've described - I've wanted a trail-only rig that I can take the front fenders off of and fab some custom Wrangler-style flat flares (even with the hood) to squeeze a larger tire on less lift.

I can't easily copy and paste here at work (to give you a link)...but look at a photo of a Willys Overland Wagon.

That's what he's going for.

Ah-ha, gotcha. That could be quite sexy.

My $0.02 on going about this: cut out your rocker panels and replace them with some 2" x 6" rectangular tube to serve as integrated rock rails and base points for a partial exoskeleton. From there, you can easily remove the stock XJ front quarter panels (or cut the bejesus out of them) and make some tube and metal front flares like what you've described. Repeat for the rear, though to a lesser extent.

This would also give you some flexibility when converting the front grill to what you want. Someone here did a write-up of a pretty slick round headlight conversion that might fit pretty well with what you're shooting for.

OK Cherokee hit the nail on the head.. I plan on going retro and turning the XJ into a flat Fender Wagon. The yellow parts are the added fenders.. front will be a flatish tube fender (going to run my exo-skeleton through the fenders. I was thinking about using the rocker panel sliders. as for the gril, I am going with an original willies wagon grill sectioned, chopped and stretched (it needs to be a few inches shorter and a few inches wider) to fit between the front frame sections. I haven't gotten all the details figured out yet to the body how too.. its about a year down the road on my build. First I am working on the interior, then moving on to a lift, then finish it off with my body work...

This week end I will cover the start of my interior plans. (along with actual pics of the interior).

One other thing, I am not a kid any more I am 33 years young , and I have been in the automotive world a long time... like I posted in my first thread, I usually stick to restoring Jeeps, with out going to over board with mods. This time around I am using all my fabbing skills to build a complete one of rig.. it will be both streetable and a great trail rig.

Last edited:
If memory serves me someone else attempted or posted about wanting to do this quite aqhile ago.

I cant wrap my mind around what it'd look like, but hope to see it completed. I think it might look better with the front end narrowing to the front so the fenders arent simply looking like a flare with tube safari type bars. Proportionally speaking..

If memory serves me someone else attempted or posted about wanting to do this quite aqhile ago.

I cant wrap my mind around what it'd look like, but hope to see it completed. I think it might look better with the front end narrowing to the front so the fenders arent simply looking like a flare with tube safari type bars. Proportionally speaking..
My photo shop doesn't give my ideas the proper justice.. here is a front view rendering... mind you its a rough draft, but you can see how the front will be narrowed and the fenders aren't just regular tube flares, but full flat fenders.. like I said I am going to graft in a willies overland front end to the XJ. I am still not sure how I am going about this.. meaning I don't know if I am going to just fab up the grill and fenders, or take a grill and fenders and cut them up to fit on the xj, but the body work is way down the build list.. first is converting the interior into a cross of fifties styling with the function of todays technology.
CherokeeOverlandFrontview.jpg

OK Cherokee Re: Project XJ Overland
I, for one, can't WAIT to see how this turns out....

What size tire/lift are you going with? This could be really cool.

I am debating on tires at the moment, its a toss up between 33's or going extreeme and getting 35's stuffed under it. for lift, I am thinking that 6" should look prety good... (Especially if I use 35's)

got a quick question, has any one ever mounted their batteries under the rear seat? if so anything I should know... I plan on putting dual batteries under the rear seat to help clean up the engine compartment... also thinking of adding my power distribuition block and relay block under the seat as well.

there isn't much room back there, maybe for a motorcycle battery. i would put it behind the body panel in the cargo area on the spare tire side. but everything else should fit under there. if you are ok with cutting the floor and putting metal boxes to sit through the floor to house them. which would be pretty sweet....

got a quick question, has any one ever mounted their batteries under the rear seat? if so anything I should know... I plan on putting dual batteries under the rear seat to help clean up the engine compartment... also thinking of adding my power distribuition block and relay block under the seat as well.

If you are willing to cut and fabricate some boxes under the jeep then yes it should be fairly straight forward. With all the metal fabrication work you have ahead of you this should be a non issue.

making a battery box was my original idea... I think I am going to start this part of the build this week end... at least making a box to weld into the rear seat, then when I get back from JRTC I can cut out the floor boards to weld in the battery box.

well not much to update on this build yet... getting ready to start ordering metal next month. I have found a shop to work out of... I was dreading doing most of this build in my garage.. no heat, and its starting to get chilly up here.

I have a few questions regarding my metal selection. I am clueless when it comes to what types of metal to use for what. I plan on starting with the simple stuff, my battery box(es), then going to chop the front sheet metal off and build a "Cage" for my front end, tieing the front cage into the fenders and sliders. This is going to be the mounting point for my internal cage.

Mild steel AKA structural steel, weldable mild, etc is the most commonly used for fabrication. It is easy to bend, machine & weld while being plenty strong for most applications.
If money is no object, go chromoly steel. More strength less weight.
Aluminum is generally 1/3 the strength, 1/3 the weight of steel. It is more expensive as well, so for 99% of Jeep applications steel is used.
Two types of tube: HREW and DOM. HREW isn't quite as strong but is much cheaper. DOM is preferred for roll cages, suspension etc. All else is "pipe" and should be used where "pipe" is spec'ed -- the crapper.

Back