• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Trim AND T/C question

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I am cleaning up a 91 XJ 4 door to be a bad weather commuter. Sorry my saturn gets 35mpg so that is the DD.

I am fixing the rust spots and two of them are at teh base of the windshield. The chrome was hurt to start with so I was not careful pulling it. Now I have to replace the trim sections and I am not finding them listed anywhere. Does anyone have a part # or supplier that can get me window trim and clips.

Now for the TC question. I is a 242. 2WD, 4 part time and 4 full time seem to work fine. I put it in 4 low the other day and the light went off after the first bump and I did not have 4 in low. The light went between on and off a couple of times but when I put the front tire against a rock one back tire spun. I backed up and tried going to N, then back to 4 Low and it made no differance, I put it in 4P/T and it poped right over the rock. It still worked fine on the high range side.

It is a road truck so if I dont have 4 Low it will not make that big of a differance but if it is a sign of bad things to come I would like to fix it before the weather gets bad.

Thanks,
Kevin

You won't find the trim outside of a junkyard, and then you'll bend it during removal. Around 94 or 95 the XJ started to come with a gasket for the windshield instead of the polished aluminum trim, and if you can find one of those you MIGHT be able to pull it out without tearing it to pieces. If you have some money in your pocket you can call a local glass place, tell them your story, and they can probably install a new one for you for less than $50. Only real issue with the newer style is that the older style used anchor posts around the windshield for the trim clips which may cause some problems for the gasket. Some people have left the posts in place, I cut mine out with a dremel.

The transfer case indicator light is from a separate switch, which sometimes malfunctions. If you know the transfer case is actually in full-time, then the switch itself should be replaced. I need to do this on mine too, since the full-time light flickers constantly when in motion, so my switch is bad

Thanks for the info on the trim.

The transfer case is acting like it is 4X4 for the high range settings but the front shaft does not get power when it is in the low range. it does not make sense to me but I never opened a 242 so I dont know. when in low range it (most of the time) does not put power to the front axle. it is not just the light, I had a rear tire spinning and did not go anywhere. I put it in full time (high range) 4wd and it poped right over what had me stuck in low range?

I'd suspect linkage is out of adjustment. Search for the proceedure...it's really pretty simple.

Also, to see if linkage is out of adjustment, put it in 4-low by moving the actuator on the TC (not the handle in the cab) to be sure it's in 4-low, then test it.

Remove the t-case shift bezel.

Move the lever to 4lo.

Put a 3mm (1/8") spacer between the rear shiftgate and the lever, and lock the lever in place against the spacer (bungee cord).

Crawl under the XJ.

Look up at the underside of the t-case shifter up near the tunnel.

There is a square block with a bolt in it on the upper rod. That is the trunnion and the trunnion locking bolt.

Loosen the trunnion locking bolt.

MANUALLY (pry bar or large pliers) shift the t-case into 4lo, making sure it is fully engaged.

Tighten down the trunnion locking bolt.

Crawl out from under the XJ.

Remove the bungee cord and the spacer.

Replace the bezel.

Enjoy!

Back