• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disco to 1 piece axle swap

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
87 XJ dana 30
In the middle of axle swap to remove the 2 piece disco axle,Pulled the carrier to replace axle seals--Looks like the center section was NOT machined to accept an inner seal on the passenger side.Question is this normal for this year XJ or D30 housing?

Will be using the 11771 seal at the end of the tube.The seal and roller bearing
that are at the disco need to be removed ? Right?

Thanks,
Wayne

Correct, the disco housings are not machined to accept a seal there. As-is, the seal will not fit there.

However, you can use a grinding wheel there to enlarge the opening slightly so the seal will fit. I did it. Be very careful not to take too much off or you will have leaks.

Search for info on doing this conversion. I've seen references to an off-the-shelf oil seal that fits without grinding.

If it's not machined to accept a seal, no seal will seal well against the housing without grinding... I would also suggest some RTV, since a dremel grinding wheel will be nowhere near as precise as is required for a good interference fit/seal. You can probably get away without RTV but it's decent, cheap insurance.

Back