• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 4.0 swap into a 99

theviper90210

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have just got a 93 xj motor swaped into my 99 (bad motor) and im starting to hook everything up. I noticed that my distributor plugs are different, no do i need to swap my 99 dizzy into the 93 motor or can I just cut the wiring harness off the dizzys and swap them, they are both 3 wires harness with a white in the middle of 2 black wires. If I have to swap the while dizzy itself will I have to worry about any timing. The reason I would rather cut the harness is the 93 distributor is brand new. and the 99 insides are different

Also on the 93 block it has the hole for the rear temp sensor that the 99 does not have, I just need to plug the hole. correct?

My friend told me to just swap the two dizzys what do yall think Thanks guys

Yeah, pretty sure the synch sensor is different, just swap the distributors like Talyn suggested.

thanks will do, my friend said mark the distributor before i take it out the old (99) block, so i can put it in the correct place in the new (93) motor. sound right?

you can remove the black plastic that contains the hall effect sensor(below the rotor), it just pulls up, and then it will have the correct plug. If they will physically interchange then you can install it into the replacement engine and avoid the issues of making sure you get the distributor correctly installed.

Leave the sensor at the back of the head to keep it plugged.

thanks will do, my friend said mark the distributor before i take it out the old (99) block, so i can put it in the correct place in the new (93) motor. sound right?

Put both motors to TDC on #1 on the compression stroke. Then switch them over.

Even then this is not 100% because I just did that replacing the motor in my 96 with one from an 01, I managed to get it off one tooth during the reinstall.

Back