• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra cash

balrog429

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok I've been tossing around ideas for awhile now. I have some extra cash and I'm trying to figure out what upgrade to do. My choices are:

1. SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft
2. GenRight Rockrawler Gas tank and skid
3. 30 spline ten factory and e-locker up front (already have a Ox in a 8.8 in the rear)

Any thoughts or ideas just throw em out there. Mama says I can spend it so I don't want to disappoint her. So what do you think?

I would think that the locker and shafts would make the biggest difference. I would also assume that the three choices would be closer to each other in approximated costs.

Seems to me for the cost of #3 you could do 1 and 2?

How tall is the XJ? Do you already have some skids?

if its lifted 5.5" I would get a SYE and driveshaft.

If you skip the tom woods shaft and use a front shaft on the sye you could get #1 & #2 done for the price of #3. Just a thought.

Given the info that you provided afterward, I'd go this route too.

I'm with them, modified version of 1 and 2. Though getting the T&W shaft wouldn't put you much over the 1200 mark.... maybe 1500 total is my memory serves me correct?

I used a front shaft and a hack and tap with no issues. (4.5" lift)

I would do the SYE and driveshaft.

Don't polish the 30 (unless you know you are never going above size x tires FOR SURE), and the tank and skid are overpriced IMO... buy a stock skid at the JY and beef it up, or a JKS skid, or anyone else's skid, and carry a couple jerry cans. It boggles my mind that people are willing to spend 800 dollars for 5 gallons of extra capacity when you can buy a bumper with a rear tire carrier AND a jerry can carrier for that much.

Also, I should note that that tank is only bolt-in on a 97 or later... 96 and earlier, you need to adapt to use a 97+ fuel pump/sender assembly, which is easy on a 96 and more difficult on 95 down. It also will make it difficult to get your gas gauge working on 96 and older.

Last edited:
Back