• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Wire Stand Alone?

always89

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to make sure that I have the CPS plugged in correctly. It seems that the CPS wire comes straight out of the firewall by itself. Is that correct on an 87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0?

Im trying to make sure that I have the CPS plugged in correctly. It seems that the CPS wire comes straight out of the firewall by itself. Is that correct on an 87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0?
It is if some previous owner had the upgrade. It originally went through the big (and troublesome) connector on the firewall, but there was a kit for rerouting it straight to the computer to help with driveability issues. It's a bonus if you have that.

TSB 18-51-88 covers the upgrade.

I just performed my own upgrade on an 87 last weekend. Separated out the CPS wires from the troublesome C101 connector and hardwired them. Solder and shrinktube.

A bunch of really important signals need to travel throught the C101. I recommend giving it a thorough cleaning by first picking out the road tar in it, then spraying it out with contact cleaner and then wiping it out with a soft cloth. Add dielectric grease when going back together.

Agree with Matthew Currie and Cruiser54 on this.

Back