• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Several Problems 1 solution?

Zel94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the setup:

1996 Cherokee Country
2WD - AW4
4.0L

Symptoms:

1. Idle: 1000 rpm
  2. Throttle position sensor range: 0.84 - 3.89 {5.01v input v+}
  3. Shift issues: Have to manual shift aw4 to drive

• Battery Voltage at TCU connector
  • No resistance on shift solenoids 1 & 2
  • spec {11 ohm} on the TC lockup solenoid
  • Adjusted Throttle body cable
  • Unplugged TCU and shifted manually - no problems
  • NSS Cleaned, sanded, and lubricated - reverse lights work
  • 1996 No inline fuse for TCU but i confirm V+ and Gnd at connector
  1. Electric Cooling fan turns on and stays on within 1 minute of starting the truck.
It's a lot but I think most of this is related. I've searched a lot and asked previous posters with these problems to update their posts but alas they don't. Anyone have any new ideas?

BTW: Where is the transmission connector in the engine compartment? A pic would be nice.

1. What is the idle speed after 20 minutes of driving, transmission in DRIVE, foot on the service brake pedal? Should be 700-750 rpm. There is no idle spec for PARK or NEUTRAL, but it should be higher than the 750 rpm.

2. No ohms on the solenoids 1 and 2, drop the pan and test them right at the solenoids, then either repair the harness or replace the solenoids. 11-15 ohms is the spec.

3. No clue on the aux fan. Your first year OBDII always gets me confused, can't remember where the sensors are. You could test the CTS in the thermostat housing to see if it is within spec.

That is all I've got.

Well after beating around the bush, trouble shooting my transmission issues from every available angle I had to bite the bullet. I traced the transmission wiring from TCU back to the transmission and discovered it was all perfect. That left only one possible issue.

Replace the shift solenoids.

After a grabbing a few from the junk yard I replaced them and the jeep shifts like a dream. Now if I could fix my intermittent A/C and high idle I'd be all set.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad to hear! I was about to say those solenoids sound like the issue for sure. With no shift solenoids functioning, the jeep will always be in OD and will start out with the torque converter unlocked... it will feel like it's slipping like crazy and will take forever to get up to speed but will drive fine if you can get it to about 50mph :roflmao:

High idle is probably a vacuum leak or an IAC actuator issue. Try tracing out the vacuum lines looking for a break or leak. AC I can't help you on really, mine has never worked, though I would suspect low refrigerant charge or an intermittent clutch / bad wiring / bad pressure switch.

I threw my Vac gauge on the engine and had a solid 19" of vac. So i'm not thinking its a Vac leak at all. Must be a electrical issue.

Back