• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke steering box mounting bolt during front bumper install .... any help ?

xjcherokee2000

NAXJA Forum User
so here is the deal . the 3 bolts that mount the steering box to the frame i needed to remove to do the bumper install . i got 2 out fine with pb blaster (rust bucket xj) but broke the 3rd .

heres my idea . . i drill out the broken bolt inside , then tap the hole , threading it for a slightly larger bolt. i have the tools ( bought tonight ) just want to make sure im on right track here . thanks my xj friends for any help on this matter .

Willis:wierd:

Take off the box and lower it down enough to see where the bolt broke.

I'd be willing to bet it broke off flush with the spacer that goes between the frame and box.

You can use a hammer/chisel and crumble the spacer around the broken bolt, then heat/vice grips make short work of it.

x2 i've done it to at least 4 bolts with no ill effects to the box.

I think I remember breaking 1 bolt and I was able to lower the steering box enough to get vice grips on the other end of the bolt. They should stick out pretty far on the other side.

Back