• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine oil in np242...?

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
ive been hearing my tcase grumbling at me so i popped the drain plug to see if something broke/checked the fluid level...and out poured engine oil, and reallly light weight oil at that. previous owner didnt know what he was doing obviously. do any of you guys think this caused any problems? after i filled her up with atf+4, all the noises did seem to go away...

Well, if that engine oil was really, really, really light weight the tiny little pump may have been able to pull enough up to lubricate things.

I would drive it, maybe change the atf in a few weeks, and I would watch for someone parting out an XJ and grab a spare t-case--just in (t)case.

I was advised to use Dex-merc in the 242/231 so that's what i use on every case i work with..

I was advised to use Dex-merc in the 242/231 so that's what i use on every case i work with..

The type of automatic transmission fluid used in the transfer case doesn't matter--no friction material. The atf is used so the little weak pump can lift up the fluid, and then it pretty much just runs through the t-case, not a pressurized system.

It does make sense to use the same fluid as in the automatic transmission. However, some have successfully switched over to ATF+4 in their AW4s, and Chryco magically approved its use in 06 or 07 for the AW4.

I've got a couple of really old quarts of ATF Type F I just might throw in my NP231 next change just to get rid of the stuff.

sounds good. ive seen a few 242s on craigslist in my area everynow an then, might pick one up just in case.

the 231 doesn't really care, I doubt the 242 does either since it's an open diff (right? someone correct me if I am wrong) not a viscous clutch or friction plate setup. They just need it to be thin enough.

Stick a couple of quarts of Mobil-1 ATF in there, makes shifting into 4 lo work like hot butter.

I run Amsoil Universal ATF full syn, in both my AW4 and 231 no issues.

Back