• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 carrier lateral difference.

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I started installing the 5.89 (38s on a Samurai) gears in my 44s and completely forgot about the 3.73 and up carrier break. In the picture the stock carrier is set ALL the way to the RGS. No shims on the RGS and about .070 in the NRGS. The pinion depth is set at .040. With absolutely NO tooth contact. I could go deeper on the pinion depth but there's no way it's going to span the gap that I have now.

CIMG2523.jpg

Is this the wrong gear set or will the 3.73 and up carrier set me straight?

What I want to know is how much lateral distance is there different between the two ring gear mounting surfaces. The last time I bought a carrier that was supposed to go with the gear set I could hardly tell a difference. I'm thinking that the mounting surface on the 3.73 and up carrier would need to be nearly 3/8s of an inch towards the right to make it even come close!

Thanks Guys.

According to the catalog on justdifferentials.com, one has a deck height of 2.125" and the other has a deck height of 2.375". So 1/4" difference.

According to the catalog on justdifferentials.com, one has a deck height of 2.125" and the other has a deck height of 2.375". So 1/4" difference.

Hmm, that Should get me in the ball park. It just looks like it'd need more than that. With the carrier spaced ALL the way to the right it still BARELY makes contact. I assume a 1/4" would actually get me some measurable backlash.

I hope so... it does look like more than 1/4 but that's what the maker says :dunno:

Right now you have infinite backlash :roll: good for gear life, but not so much for traction.

I hope so... it does look like more than 1/4 but that's what the maker says :dunno:

Right now you have infinite backlash :roll: good for gear life, but not so much for traction.

LOL You make a good point! I'd have a hard time moving is the front requires the same carrier as the back which I'm sure it will. I'll be ordering the new carriers tomorrow.

Back