• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering component fail

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Hey y'all...

Prepping my XJ for a front axle swap next weekend. Found a couple "grease boots" that have ripped. Going to post pictures (sorry for the fuzziness...my camera isn't great). Can someone confirm what these are called so I can look up parts and if they are replaceable like a ball joint, or if I have to get a larger piece.

There is a small tear that is inside this red box. I want to consider a ZJ tie rod as soon as a decent one shows up on the PAP yard. Do I run it as is? Do I replace it, and if so, what needs to be replaced...the whole tie rod end?

101_0806-1.jpg

This is obviously an epic failure. The boot has completely split and came out. I circled the area with the grease fitting that is connected to the bolt that has the arrow towards it where the castle nut tightens down. What do I need to replace here?

101_0810-1.jpg

i think just the boot can be replaced. some claim to have a hard time getting it to seat properly though. personally i would just replace the whole TRE, even autozone runs lifetime warranty on them... worth it.

is the pitman arm bent or something? i dont remember mine being at an extreme angle like that.

How much are you lifted?

Odds are you'll just tear another one. Personally I would save up and look into a steering upgrade.

Thanks guys...I am at 3.5".

I may look into a steering upgrade, but in the interim, I am going to get a new tie rod end and a new drag link part and run it until I decide what to do.

Thanks again!

Back