• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this normal? (what else is hidden in my jeep?)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
got a buddy with a TJ who was talking about how he bypassed having to push the clutch in to start his jeep and it got me looking under the pedals. i found this wrapped up in some of the bundles of wires:

l_c95ee34d9fef40d480f54c758faeaa83.jpg

it was the only open plug under there which is what he told me to look for. a light tug and it came right out. i noticed it had the same connector that the module on the plunger for the clutch has (idk if im using the right words for these gizmos). so i unplugged it and gave this looped wire a whirl... did exactly what i was hoping. im assuming it just provides constant power to some circuit down the line by bypassing the clutch saftey switch... idk, electrical stuff might as well be magic to me.

but it got me wondering... what other stuff may be hidden in my jeep? what have others found?

Now you have done it!

Just kidding, lots of manual trans vehicles never had the clutch switch.

However, if you sell the vehicle hook it back up. If you LOAN the vehicle to anyone (always a bad idea), warn them it will start in gear.

I don't know what year your's is, but our '96 4 cyl. 5 speed, stripper had labeled wires under the dash ends for foot well lights and tweeters which are now installed along with a bunch of other factory options that would never be "factory" installed.

And mine's always started in gear, which to me is a good thing if the clutch release mechanism ever goes out.
You can start the engine, get moving and shift without using the clutch (done it from San Diego to L.A. in a VW baja), but you can't easily put it in gear without a clutch once the engine's running.

Yeah that's the plug. 1998 and later TJs you just have to stick a fuse into the right spot in the fusebox to bypass the clutch interlock.

Back