• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with water pump install... how do I stop the pulley from spinning?

zeroforhire

NAXJA Forum User
New to working on cars... but enjoy it.

I am changing my water pump on a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Stock. I have a FSM, and am following it to a T. The problem I am running into now is that I don't know how to stop the water pump pulley from spinning so I can get it off to access the water pump. It looks like there are two holes in the front, but when I put something in there it doesn't stop it from spinning.

HELP!

saw this...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29563

any other ideas? Am I screwed?

Last edited:
strap wrench from sear's (the larger one).

you could also put the belt back on, tighten up the belt, THEN remove the bolts thru the pulley, using the serpentine belt to hold it.

in theory, you could (and i have) make a wrench for those 2 holes, but your replacement water pump probably wont have the same holes, so why bother?

exactly same thing fook buying a strap wrench... is right thing to do probably (besides leave the belt on) but hell its a jeep no special tools your only going to use once needed

a strap wrench is a specialized tool? lol.
a strap wrench is a basic tool, one that lets you laugh at stupid easy problems like the one in disussion.

ive seen my neighbor using a flat screwdriver to remove an oil filter, sure it works!. but it doesnt change the fact that you dont have the proper tool, and are in essance XXXXXX rigging it.

This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. I stupidly forgot to loosen those nuts before taking the belt off. I used an impact wrench to take them off in just a few seconds.

I literally just did this today and I just used a screwdriver between two nuts and loosened them all.

Why buy a strap wrench when I'm sure you got a perfectly good screwdriver you could use.

Got it. after some finagling, the screwdriver trick worked.

Now I am having a heck of a time getting the pipe that screws into the top of the water pump off. I have it in a vise, and am getting a pipe wrench today. Went around to the local auto parts stores, and no one has that part. Wish me luck.

I replaced that pipe with a hose barb fitting when i replace the pump. Mine was almost rusted through in several spots.

I find it easier to break it free with the pump still bolted to the engine-- a little late now, but next time....

heat and a hammer should help in your current position

I replaced that pipe with a hose barb fitting when i replace the pump. Mine was almost rusted through in several spots.

googled "hose barb fitting" and can see what that would work... do you remember what size specifically you got? Can I get them at any HD or lowes?

thanks a lot for your help everyone.

I got the fitting from Home Depot. I don't remember the size but I got the idea from this forum. I think the barb size was 1/2" or 3/4" but don't hold me to it. Just don't forget to seal the threads with thread sealant. I suggest using the stuff in the tube verses pipe tape. You can get the tube stuff from any auto parts store.

The 2 small holes on the face of the hub are for a Pin Spanner - for keeping the hub
stationary while twisting the pulley bolts on or off. I fabricated my own spanner just
for this application (it has an extra-long 16" handle so I can have enough room to get
my combo wrench in there to twist the pulley bolts).

Depending on the manufacturer, some pumps do not have these holes and so you are
left to struggle with a strap wrench. I never had much luck with those things.

Back