• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 to 29 spline 8.25

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have read a few different things about this swap... just want to double check... this seems almost too easy to be true.

For me to swap to 29 spline shafts, could I just drop in a 29 spline Aussie locker? Or does it have to be a full case locker (detroit)?

With the Aussie, you will need a 29 spline 8.25 carrier, the bores where the side gears ride are larger on the 29 spline vs the 27 and the Aussie will not fit.

Or yes, you could go with a full case locker and new shafts.

The 27 can also be hog out if you handy that way. You could pay to have it done. But a used (29) one would be cheaper.

The 27 can also be hog out if you handy that way. You could pay to have it done. But a used (29) one would be cheaper.

The housings are the same inside and out. The only thing that is different is the carrier/side gears/shafts.

Pictured below is a 27 spline housing with 29 spline carrier, Yukon alloy shafts, RuffStuff cover, RuffStuff truss, Aussie locker, and Nitro 4.88 gears. I have been running it for a year now no issues. I did the set-up and truss work myself.

P1020216.jpg

P1020223.jpg

P1020281.jpg

where did you get the billet u joint caps?

I plan on rocking my 8.25 for awhile. They're tougher than most give them credit for....especially after what you've done.

Back