• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Storage Question

Gold Digger

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting stationed in korea soon then in the UK. My question is, what's the best way to store an XJ for a year (maybe more if I can't ship it to the UK)? There's no freakin' way I'm selling it so please don't say just sell it.

Here's some key points but I know I'll be missing some.
-jack it up slightly on jackstands to take some pressure off the suspension so it doesn't sag
-stabilizer to fuel (full tank?, double check about that)
-something to block off around the entire thing so mice don't nest in it
-battery removed or tended

I remember seeing a thread or two about this awhile ago with better/more advice

-pull the wheels and set it on jack stands
-pull the plugs and spray the cylinders with fogging oil (put plugs back in)
-fill with new oil
-fill gas tank as full as it will get & add fuel stabilizer (run it for a few minutes with the stabilizer in the tank to get some in the lines)
-throw a few desiccant bags and a few rodent poisons in the interrior
-disconnect the battery and place on a tender

hook battery back up, put wheels on, and change the oil upon return-- fire it up.

X2 on the rodent poison. I like those little boxes of D-Con with the blue crystals. Put one in the engine compartment near the air cleaner. Those little suckers like to camp out in air filters. Also one in the passenger compartment or they'll be setting up a condo in your blower motor housing and making it all comfy with your carpet padding.

For rodent control, I like to put steel wool (from local hardware store; not Brillo) in the air intake and exhaust pipe. That will keep the varmints from building a nest in those areas and shredding your filter. A unused dryer sheet (Bounce, etc) thrown underneath the front seats and maybe in the trunk area with the windows slightly cracked will help keep them out of the cabin (so I'm told) and your XJ smelling fresh. :)

Personally, I wouldn't put the XJ on blocks, unless you are concerned about theft. I would just pump the tires up to the maximum pressure stated on the side wall. That should provide enough pressure to prevent flat spotting of the tires.

I have stored car before and here are my recommendations.
* Put the vehicle on jack stands. Parking it for a years will leave flat spots, even at max PSI. I wouldn't worry about the suspension.
* Fresh oil change is a must.
* Fill the gas tank up completely to prevent condensation.
* Gas treatment (put it in before you fill up and drive it to it's home)
* Take battery out and put it on a tender. You will be buying a new one if you don't.
* Depending on where you park it, it will get incredibly dirty. Car cover or a good waxing is not a bad idea if you care about your paint. Especially if you park it near a tree with sap.
* Sun shade. Believe it or not, but sun hitting the same side of the car every day can cause unusual bleaching / shrinking of the interior.
* Steel wool in the intake/muffler isn't a bad idea, but remember to take it out.
* When you park it think about everything from storms, rain, overhanging trees, rodents, ect.
* Make sure someone has the keys for an emergency.

I would recommend misting the cylinders with oil when you get back and before you start it. One of my cars wasn't burning any oil at all until it was parked. (Sticking ring or something, I don't know.)

Steel wool? Not sure of that. Seen rats eat through heavy wire screen.

If parking indoors where no pets can get to it I would go fairly liberal with poison underneath, under the hood, and in the interior.

Back