• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting trailer hitch on an 2001 XJ?

jacobsfreeman

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any easy way to put on this thing or what? I have been trying to figure out how to get these hitch on for two days now.. I know that there are 6 bolts that hold my hitch to the frame.. I just can't seem to find out how to place the bolts in there up in the frame unless maybe take off the bumper?

Thanks guys.

When i did mine it came with a piece of wire that you would wrap around the threads of the bolt then snake it into the correct hole but you could use any wire thin enough to get onto the threads.

Easiest way is with nut strips... Call the dealer, pick up a pair of hitch nut strips. Remove the bumper and slide them into the ends of the unibody frame rails. From there you can hand tighten bolts up through the hitch into the nut strips and crank down once everything looks true.

everyone else already mentioned the nut strips but what i did was i removed the bumper and snaked em in with fishing line.

also there should be 4 bolts per side not 3 ;)

you can barely see the last bolt in the rear but theres 4.
mount.jpg

Back