• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do people hate 6.5 shortarm kits?

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
im just curious. i see a lot of flack given to people with that kinda kit. and am just curious why. i mean a few kits out there have this with a long arm upgrade available. why not do it if you plan on it later? im just curious to yalls thoughts on it.

Are you serious, or are you trolling right now?

What kits are available like this with a long arm upgrade right now?

hahaha. no troll. and i was just curious. seriously. and xcm, thats prolly the nicest post ive ever seen you make. good job.

Come on guys, we were all noobs once :p

The angle of the short arms is too steep, causing a harsh ride, and minimal downtravel.

Come on guys, we were all noobs once :p

The angle of the short arms is too steep, causing a harsh ride, and minimal downtravel.

ah ok. this is the kind of answer i was looking for. i knew it had something to do with travel, but wasnt sure of which was was affected.

6.5" with short arms unless you have drop brackets will kill your kidneys.

hmmmm its a matter of what you want out of your ride....i have the drop bracket but i am at 8.5 inch. no it does not ride like a caddy but its a jeep. and has lots of down travel...would love to show pics but i am chalanged in that area....

At 8.5, you really should be on long arms. drop brackets are great around 4-6" or so, but at 8.5, you start getting bad angles again. My Jeep on long arms at 5.5" now rides fairly well and handles good too. It has tons of flex, more than I can use really, but that's just room for growth. :D

the ride with 4 inches and short arms sucks. just went to long arm a couple of weeks ago and it was a big difference.

im just curious. i see a lot of flack given to people with that kinda kit. and am just curious why. i mean a few kits out there have this with a long arm upgrade available. why not do it if you plan on it later? im just curious to yalls thoughts on it.

Sup Pittsburgher!

The arm angles become too steep that you barely have any downtravel and your wheelbase shrinks. This also causes terrible caster and pinion angles.

Like mentioned a few times, ride suffers. The suspension is supposed to absorb the bumps but when your arms are pointing down at the road, they end up taking a good deal of the bump and road noise causing your ride to be quite harsh.

5" and short arms....bleh.

5" and drop brackets.....nice.

4.5" and long arms....sweet!

If you check out RC's 6.5" short arm kit, you'll see this at the bottom:

Control Arm Drop Kit Click to view picture $189.95 Recommended

Also RE recommends/uses drop brackets at that height as well.

Last edited:
Back