• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bottom end kit ?

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 4.0 has started to grow louder the last couple days. It has a rod knock going on down there. Well, I am thinking of just getting a crankshaft kit if theres one available out there ? I would just swap out the crank and bearings and put her back on the road. I may have a loose wrist pin as well.. so I may have to re ring the motor as well. Can you guys point me in the right direction.. as where to buy a good kit, etc ?

I went through the same thing and needed a new crankshaft and the bearings and all came with the Crankshaft when I bought it from Schucks. I cannot stress enough to replace the headgasket. I didn't and im paying for it now. :tears:

Another thought.. why not just go stroker ? If I have to fix my wrist pin. I might as well get 4.2 crank/rods ? Since its a Renix.. I have not found info saying that a 4.2 crank works like it would in a 4.0 ho motor. I might as well go with a ho head/intake/exhaust too huh ? I would have to get an TB adapter then if I go this route.

just take the crank out .. get it ground and polished .. new bearing .. hone the cylinders put new rings /or pistons if u want . and all gaskets and ur good to go.. . i wouldnt go stroker.. u might need to clearance the block and a stroker kit cost alot more and i would replace the rods and pistons if i went stroker. ..and of coarse replace all gaskets .. why would u not? .. i would not do a inframe overhaul if i had a rod knock with such a easy engine to throw togeather.. how did u diagnose the wrist pin?? u have to take the motor apart to do that..i dont remember if the 4.0 is a full float wrist pin or a press in .. if its a press in u have to take it to a machine shop to get em pressed in .. and i would go new pistons that route..

******replace the headgasket******* newb mistake... replace all gaskets if ur gonna take the engine out .. .. last time i rebuilt a 4.0 it cost me $750 for everything ?*but my cousin works at the best machine shop in san diego ..

Last edited:
Interesting.. $184 for that deal ? I dont need a headgasket.. so why should I replace it now ?

something like that, it's been a while. I suggested the headgasket so you could spare yourself the extra labor in the future. just a thought. I think you should do a stroker. :party:

I'm thinking.. budget stroker. The recipe is out there, and no mention of needing to clearance the block.. but I'm not a expert. Anyone have good links to a 4.5L stroker upgrade ? For the wrist pin diagnose.. I bought the jeep with a knock in the motor at idle, and put almost 20,000 miles on it since then. It sounds like a bottom end knock, but it hauls ass and just knocks at idle. So, I figured - its piston slap. I agree with you, it'd prob have to be fixed at a machine shop.. so thats where the 4.2 rods come in play. It wouldnt be much more to go 4.2 stuff.

Nice links.. I think I found what I need to know. So, I better start a new post over in the street performance section about a stroker build(yet another one, I guess it'll be boring too)

Back