• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rollover Ideas

talentjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So this happened to my gj's XJ. Thankfully she was not seriously injured other than a sore shoulder.

And a short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY_aQq-p4u0

So I hate to call it a parts XJ because it's still a fully functional 4x4....from the windowsills down (mostly). I would like to do something drastic. Roof replacement, cutoff, etc. Never tried something on this scale with a vehicle and I'd appreciate some advice from the NAXJA crew.

Was it her DD? If so, score a good body with a bad powertrain and swap things over.

It's done as a DD. I don't care how good you are, how much time you spend on it, or how much money you throw at it, it will NEVER be the same. Nothing will fit back together like it should, it will squeek, rattle, and there will be gaps that whistle like the andy girffith show.

That said, you have an awesome opportunity for a dedicated wheeler that has a reliable powertrain and you NEVER have to worry about body damage. Wheeling is a lot more fun when your not stressin the dents and dings. Have fun with it now.

Or, chop that front off, Straighten the roof up a little, and turn it into an offroad trailer. Drop it off at my place, and I'll start on it once I return from deployment.

Agree with the comments about not useable as a daily driver again. It's possible, but a ton of work. A guy I used to work with rolled his 5.9L ZJ and with the help of friends at a body shop replaced the roof and it runs fine now, but... it took a few weeks with professional body guys in a shop to get it right.

score a good body with a bad powertrain and swap things over.

great idea. but if you have the firends or know how, a tube buggy isnt bad either. you just have to be able to tow it or get it street legal. more than likely the former and not the latter.

1) chop top it and make it a pure wheeler
2) buy a high milage/not running XJ with a good body and interior and swap stuff over.

I found like 10 cheap 2wd XJ's for less than 1500 that could be a good recipient for that drive train over there in the carolina's

Back