• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good CB radios?

cant tell you any brands in particular that i'd recommend. its still on my to do list for the jeep.

but I would recommend one with weather band. seems like it would be handy.

just my .02

cobra makes a good radio. def suggest the weather band. I got my stuff from rightchannelradios.com. this site will help in your decision

The OP may want to search a bit. There are a TON of threads on CB radios, CB radio setup, Antenna Location, and Location in the cab for the radio.

As for my preference. The Uniden 520XL Pro. It does not have WX receive, but has all the features you would want on a CB in a small footprint, and small price tag.

Any Fry's stores near you? I bought a cheapo reman'd Midland radio five years ago for $15. It's worked perfectly every time. A decent antenna makes all the difference no matter which CB you buy.

xwhatever, the antenna and coax make a huge difference... so does tuning the CB (if possible.) cobra/uniden are good brands and won't let you down.

I've been using the cheapie (~$50 from Amazon) Uniden 520 pro in my TJ and tow rig for years good signal and reasonable price.

Whatever you get be sure to tune it, I fried one by using an un-tuned magnetic mount as a temp fix on a long trip in my tow rig.

Cobra 75WXST.

Pros: the handset houses the electronics while the transmitter is separate; it's easier to find a place to locate it due to its smaller dimensions compared to a traditional CB. Picks up the NOAA weather frequencies. The transmitter can be bought separately relatively cheaply (around $30 last I checked), so one handset can be moved between transmitters in multiple vehicles. Audio quality is decent, both on transmit and receive.

Cons: initially-expensive (shop around and you can find it for around $80) but that price includes both the transmitter and handset. No real options out there for improving performance (so no SSB, etc.), but mine's been adequate for trail and highway use.

Kastein's right, though - your feed line and antenna are going to be the two most critical areas as regards radio performance. Even my crappy $18 Radio Shack metal whip (which actually works surprisingly well) will outperform a more expensive Wilson or Firestik antenna if they haven't been properly matched to the radio. Most truck stops can do this for about $10-$20 (depends on what they charge for the service), but if you're not adverse to the DIY route, pick up a SWR meter and tune it yourself.

Bear in mind that SWR changes every time the antenna is mounted or removed, or as it jostles around, so that truck stop fee can add up pretty quickly if you're having to do this on a regular basis - and too high of an SWR level will fry a radio pretty quickly regardless of which model you go with.

+1 for the Cobra 75 wx st

Great unit, compact and easy to use. I paired it with a Little Wilson 3ft whip and it works great! No tuning required. I'm sure a little tuning would get me more range but for wheeling its works perfetctly.

in all the tractor trailers i have driven they all use cobra's and they have one with blue tooth never used that yet.going to buy one soon for the peterbilt.p.s. the weather band is nice.

Uniden, want weatherband I's suggest the ellite

I'd stay clear of cobras unless its an old one made in the Philippines and you know for a fact its not burnt up. Ever since cobra stopped buying their boards from uniden and started trying to make their own they are more worried about adding fancy gimmicks instead of making them sound good. The soundtracker is useless unless both radios have it then its marginal at best. The bluetooth is ok but only works making phone calls and whats the point? I would have given them mad props if they woulda made it hands free radio usage but I already have a bluetooth for my phone and it works well. The night watch is nice until the leds start burning out and since they are some supper small flush soldered on a board you have to replace the whole board or left with a burnt out screen.

Yeah I'm a radio geek

Cobra 75WXST.

Pros: the handset houses the electronics while the transmitter is separate; it's easier to find a place to locate it due to its smaller dimensions compared to a traditional CB. Picks up the NOAA weather frequencies. The transmitter can be bought separately relatively cheaply (around $30 last I checked), so one handset can be moved between transmitters in multiple vehicles. Audio quality is decent, both on transmit and receive.

X3,saves space and money if you have more than 1 rig like I do.

Uniden, want weatherband I's suggest the ellite

I'd stay clear of cobras unless its an old one made in the Philippines and you know for a fact its not burnt up. Ever since cobra stopped buying their boards from uniden and started trying to make their own they are more worried about adding fancy gimmicks instead of making them sound good. The soundtracker is useless unless both radios have it then its marginal at best. The bluetooth is ok but only works making phone calls and whats the point? I would have given them mad props if they woulda made it hands free radio usage but I already have a bluetooth for my phone and it works well. The night watch is nice until the leds start burning out and since they are some supper small flush soldered on a board you have to replace the whole board or left with a burnt out screen.

Yeah I'm a radio geek

Agreed on most except the LEDs, can buy SMT LEDs from digikey for a song and they aren't much harder to solder than regular ones, just takes a little practice, decent iron and a steady hand. Unless you don't like messing with electronics, then I agree, not the radio for you.

Bringing this back since the radio i'm considered is mentioned by several.

On the Cobra 75wxst can an auxillery speaker be plugged into the the hidden unit? Cobra's website doesnt mention. Hoping i can add one to the rear of an overhead console with this radio. I wont hear the handset speaker mounted low on dash or side of center console over the stereo.

On the Cobra 75wxst can an auxillery speaker be plugged into the the hidden unit? Cobra's website doesnt mention. Hoping i can add one to the rear of an overhead console with this radio. I wont hear the handset speaker mounted low on dash or side of center console over the stereo.

You betcha Rubber Ducky !

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2437609

Click on Document. Everything you need to know, unless you don't want to read the owners manual ;)

-Ron

Back