• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper size U-bolts for '88 with Dana 35?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
A few of the offroad suppliers list different u-bolts based on model year. Example:
U-Bolt - 12mm X 1.75 Metric, 3.08" Wide

1984-1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Why don't they use axle instead? They are selling different ubolts for the '90+ models.

So my question is- will the ones listed above fit my '88 with a D35? What if I add a stock main leaf to the pack?

Thanks for any info...

Thanks for the info on that.

Unfortunately the dimensions we are talking about are not described well enough by the vendors. The D35 is something about 2 5/8" diameter. Which means a U-Bolt with an opening of 2.63 something would fit. Sometimes (maybe in this circumstance) the dimensions are described as the center-to-center of the parallel threaded portions. If that is the case, it would leave right around 2 3/4" in the inside.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with the U-bolts from quadratec or morris 4x4 which are sold based on the year.

They are cheap enough that I'll just order a set and see what happens, but I was hoping to save some time.

I've never seen center-to-center of the threads; it should be done inside-to-inside. If someone does that, take 2.625" or 2.75" and add the thickness of one entire threaded portion to get the correct center-to-center distance.

Edit: I'll do the math. If they show 3.08 center-to-center: that is close enough distance to a ubolt for a 2.625" axle (which is the D35).

3.08" - (12mm/25.4mm conversion to inches is 0.47") = 2.61 inches inside-to-inside. It should work for a D35 which has axle tubes of 2.625". The rounding error is close enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for going through the math for me. Maybe these bolts supplied per year ok. If the only options up until '90 were D44 or D35, one bolt could be used as they are close in size. If after '90 the 8.25 or D35 were used, would one bolt fit both of those?

I'll try these and report back. Might save someone some time one day.

Thanks for going through the math for me. Maybe these bolts supplied per year ok. If the only options up until '90 were D44 or D35, one bolt could be used as they are close in size. If after '90 the 8.25 or D35 were used, would one bolt fit both of those?

I'll try these and report back. Might save someone some time one day.
Your logic is sound AFAIK. After '90 or '91 (not sure) there were in fact different U-bolts for different axles. 5200 6440 was used for d35 axles (91-93 catalog says "U-BOLT, (2 5/8) w/Dana Axle") while 5200 4010 was used for 8.25" axles (catalog says "w/8.25 Acustar Axle") due to the larger axle housing tubes. The u-bolt plates also differ for 8.25s vs d35s, at least in the 91-93 catalog... not gonna bother checking the later year catalogs unless someone needs that info.

FYI, Acustar is a wholly owned auto parts making subsidiary of Chrysler, which is why it's called the Chrysler 8.25" by many people. I think they stopped calling it the Acustar axle fairly quickly themselves actually.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/16/business/company-news-chrysler-to-export-axles-to-china.html

Back