• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine removal HELP needed ASAP

Mudweiserjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to pull my 4.0L out of my 1987 XJ. Trying to remove all mounting bolts between engine and tranny (AUTO). Having problems getting to all of them.

Any suggestions on how to remove this engine?

Thanks - Tim

Why not pull them both out together then unbolt the tranny?

you cant be serious.... :roflmao:

Which bolts cant you get to? the top two 12 point bits? you can get them by fishing a long extension with a wobbly up there, or you can just drop the transmission crossmember a little bit so you can get your arm in there. works perfect then.

I pulled my whole drivetrain because I was pulling the tranny anyways, and lining the whole shebang back up was easier on the driveway than in the vehicle... it's only a few more bolts.

When you put it back together, install the torque converter in the transmission (or never remove it, unbolt the 15mm head flexplate bolts before removing engine) and make sure it is fully seated before bolting up the bellhousing to the block. Else you risk wrecking your transmission's fluid pump.

Which bolts cant you get to? the top two 12 point bits? you can get them by fishing a long extension with a wobbly up there, or you can just drop the transmission crossmember a little bit so you can get your arm in there. works perfect then.

This.

Pulling the engine/trans/t-case as a unit is a good move too.

What I do is after all the accessories have been removed is attach the engine hoist on the engine. Remove the engine fount bushings, the lower the engine back down so the engine bracket is in contact with the frame bracket. This will give you more room to get to the top two bolts. I use a long extension and a swivel as well.

Actually I was serious.

It has been a number of years since I have pull an engine and i have never pulled one out of a jeep, but as I recall we always pulled them as a complete unit because it was easier to disassemble and reassemble out of the vehicle.

Also, they aren't 12 point - they are external torx (6 point) in size 12, so you need an E12 bit.

When I tore down my last one I had the motor/tranny/tcase out less than an hour from pulling it into the shop.

Removing the front clip makes it super easy to remove it. It's only a few bolts and harness connectors and there you go. If you just remove the a/c compressor and lay it over and do the same with the ps pump you don't have to depressurize/drain those.

picture.php

I did mine in the driveway, left the tranny/TC in the Jeep.

The top bolts were a biatch! I started with an impact, had metal flying off the bolt heads. I lowered the rear of the tranny/TC enough to get a hammer on the bolt heads. After a couple of hammer-slaps the bolts broke loose and came out.

The things that helped:
To get the rear of the TC low enough, I bought two 10M x 1.5 bolts about 3" long, put them in the rear holes of the crossmember to hold it safely in place.
I removed the front driveshaft at the axle, the shifter cable, and TC shifter to make room for my fat hands.
Removing the engine mount brackets from the block made it easier to manuever the block in and out.

HTH

Back