• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler line leak

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
On the tranny side of one of the cooler lines, where the rubber hose meets the hard line to the trans there is a tiny pinhole in the silver outer sheath of the disconnect. A tiny bit of fluid seeps from it.
Would somehting like JB weld work for a tiny hole like that or do I need to replace the whole thing?

In the first post it's a tiny pinhole almost right below the spot the upper right arrow is pointing at in one of the "crease/crimps"

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/transmission-cooler-line-leak-question-fix-30509/

Last edited:
Several years, and about 50K miles ago I got rid of all the metal lines under the pan. I used a small tube cutter and a flare tool and put 3/8 brass flare fittings and hose barbs on the ends of the lines to/from the tranny. The other end goes to the tranny cooler (I bypassed the radiator loop).

Sorry about the size of the pic.

trans001-1.jpg

I just kept the part of the metal line without discos (except for the lines at the tranny). I needed a ground for the one wire tranny temp gauge. ALL of the other lines are rubber with flares, barbs and clamps.

It doesn't leak and hasn't for ~4 years.

You're overpaying if you buy those from teamcherokee.

Buy 1x each: Dorman 624-300, 624-301, and 624-334 from rockauto.com. Also buy 2x 800-714 if the fittings on the transmission are screwed up.

They are 3/8" "quick connect" fittings.

The best solution is to eliminate them entirely, but I ended up simply getting all the lines and fittings from rockauto for around $80.

If you manage to clean all the road grime and solidified grease out of the fitting, a 3/8" quick disconnect / fuel line tool should work after considerable twisting, pulling, cursing, and frustration.

I had the same problem a while back. The original transmission lines started leaking somewhere around the crimp connection. I tried to fix it the correct way and ordered new lines. They worked great for a few months then the leaks came back. I cut the hose section off with a pipe cutter and made a slight flare on the tubes for a barb then added new hose and hose clamps. It's been completely dry for a while now.

Kastein I think I ordered the exact same parts from rockauto. I hope you have better luck.

Yes the parts are cheap enough at Rockauto but the shipping to me is $162 so I really need a cheaper solution.

Steve.

There is this>>

I used a small tube cutter and a flare tool and put 3/8 brass flare fittings and hose barbs on the ends of the lines to/from the tranny. The other end goes to the tranny cooler (I bypassed the radiator loop).

Sorry about the size of the pic.

trans001-1.jpg

ALL of the other lines are rubber with flares, barbs and clamps.

It doesn't leak and hasn't for ~4 years.

Cost me about $12 for fittings and $10 for hose. No discos to worry about leaking.

Back