• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrewed Fender Flares

epd166

NAXJA Forum User
Two years ago I started making some tube fender flares to cover the 33" tires I had because I wanted to be legal and not get stopped for the tires sticking out. I looked around and back then no one made a decent fender flare for the Cherokee but Rusty's and Bushwacker. I did not like the look of the Rusty's and the Bushwacker's are prone to cracking when struck against a hard object. So I decided to make my own. I took pictures of the entire build and figured I would share it with all of you to give you some ideas. The flares are made of sheet metal and the tubes are 3/4" electrical conduit. I went cheap with the tube because I would rather them bend then fold the fenders since there is no support behind the fenders. I started out with this.
IMG_1949.jpg

I had a couple projects going at the same time, cutting and folding the rear fenders, trimming the front fenders, and making front and rear bumpers. I next made a template, front and rear, to trace to some sheet metal
IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

I then transferred it to the sheet metal and cut it out. I did not have access to a plasma so I had to cut it out with a jig saw.
IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

I made the backing larger than needed on the outside because I did not know how I wanted it to fit. The inside follows the contours of the fender. Next I measured for the mounting holes and screwed the backs into the fenders, front and rear. I started on the driver's side.
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg
I made some changes here and there as I went. Lost a couple tubes trying to learn how to measure the bends. For the tight bends I had to cut and splice them together since the conduit bender would not fit that tight of a bend next to the next bend. I next tacked the tube to the backing that was screwed to the fender. I made some short pieces of tube for supports and welded them in. Had to make sure and sand the galvanizing off or it negatively affected the welds, not to mention it can harm you if you breath it while welding. I also put in the rivet nuts into the fenders so it was easier to take the fenders on and off.
IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Here are are a few shots of just the fender frames, no skin yet.
IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg

Next came the fun part, making a template for the skin of the fender.
IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg

I then transferred it to the sheet metal and went to town cutting again with the jig saw. I put the skin on the fender and began bending it by hand to make it fit the curves.
IMG_4040.jpg

Last edited:
Continued: Homebrewed Fender Flares

I then began tacking the skins on.
IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

After tacking them on I took the fenders off and welded the skins to the backing inside and out. I then stitch welded the skin to the tube and took the flapper disc to the skin at the tube and to the backing.
IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

The next order of business was to use some filler to smooth the transition between the skin and the tube, sorry forgot to take pictures. I then primed the entire fender and used some black seam sealer to caulk the underside of the tubes.
IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

After this I wet sanded the skin using 220 grit sandpaper and finished it off with a couple coats of black semi-gloss enamel. After the topcoat dried for a couple days I decided to spray the skin with some textured bed coating.
IMG_4154.jpg

Here is a pic of the textured coating.
IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

I did not like the transition between the fender flare and the body so I picked up some black VW beetle fender beading from the local Bow-Wow.
IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

Here I am applying the beading. Had to cut some relief cuts in the beading to make it take the curves.

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Job :thumbup:

Not bad not bad at all! They look good!! Wish I had the time and weather to do something like that here at home myself!!! Keep up the good work and post up some finnished pics of them on the truck!

So, after all the hours of labor and hard work here is the final product.
IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

So......If I had to do it all over again I would. My wife did not like me spending all the time on them. I did get a little frustrated trying to bend the tubing and getting it to fit and look right. All in all I think they look good and protect me from getting a stiff ticket from the local Fuzz. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks Tazz and ColoradoRaptor. I like them too. The final pics show the home made bumpers and rock sliders which were completed before I finished the fender flares.

Thanks Tazz and ColoradoRaptor. I like them too. The final pics show the home made bumpers and rock sliders which were completed before I finished the fender flares.

I was going to ask who made your bumpers but now know. I must say that you did a mighty fine job on all your projects, they have a professional look to them! :cheers:

Those are so unbelievably awesome that it's almost painful. Well ... the jealousy is painful. Those flares are fantastic. Very nice work, man!

Just one comment: I have a 22" screen, & even then the thread is very difficult to follow due to the size of the pics. But you're still awesome!

Gorgeous, man. Absolutely gorgeous.

The one thing I've gotta ask, though - is there any reason you didn't extend the rear fenders down to be flush with the rear bumper and bolt them together there? Not a criticism, just a question (as we all have different tastes).

looks good man!

:worship:

Those are AWESOME! I only wish they weren't so labor intensive, because it means I probably can't afford to bribe you into making me a set :roflmao: guess I'll have to do it myself when I find some time... a lot of time.

looks like a pro job, like something youd buy in a catalog. awesome job, more of a personal preference but i wouldve made the rears attach a tad lower by the bumper like someone else already stated and mabye make the fronts a tad narrower, but like i said, its all in your personal preference!!

I like them, looks better then bushwhacker style and more durable

Back