• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 making a knocking or tapping noise

phoenix212

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my beautiful, smooth running, well maintained under 150k 1996 4.0 engine has started making some noise. It started off as a ticking, I thought it was a lifter, then it got louder. It doesnt quite sound like a rod, and when I tested the cylinders by disconnecting the plug wires 1 cylinder at a time the sound persisted.

Its very loud, sounds like somebody is going to town with a ball peen hammer. Engine still runs fine though, smooth and no change in power. Oil is fine, and the oil has never been low.

Ideas?

could either be really bad piston slap or broken driveplat or loose driveplate bolts, pluu the inspection cover and check the driveplate and bolts

either sticky lifter or bad piston slap then, my 98 had a pad piston slap issue when my mom orig bought it at 125k shortly after i got it the #6 piston let got at 150k

Alright, update.... There was what I thought was a slow oil drip from the pan gasket near the front belt so I tightened up the pan and thought nothing of it. Well...... Now I poked around and its quite wet under there, and I cleaned it up pretty good to see if ti was still leaking. I think its coolant, not oil. What is the significance of this?

Check to see how much "play" is in the water pump pulley. I thought the same thing a about a week ago about my 98xj and it was the water pump. The bearings were shot. Worth a look anyway.

Back