• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to buy another XJ...

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone (anyone) give a look over this "plan" and tell me whether or not it's looking like a decent deal? Seems good to me but I'm just afraid I'm getting myself drawn into it and starting to miss the big picture so I would appreciate any 2nd, 3rd, etc opinions :rolleyes:

Hopefully looking at this XJ tomorrow evening unless I get stuck at work too late, The level of rust may make or break the deal (FWIW no airbags deployed)

So plan (all prices listed here include sales tax):
Buy that XJ for $860 tops, hopefully get it down to $750
Swap on 98+ front clip that I already have in storage (free) and hopefully that's all the required body work (at least all the parts that are needed)...
Bumper: cheap or pull the dent out of that one or just ignore it all together

*at this point I could just drive it but I demand a 5-speed so... :D*

AX-15: ........................................................................$214 (118k miles & IIRC comes with a 90 day warranty)
Pedal assembly: .........................................................$50 (guessing it won't be more than that)
NAPA flywheel:............................................................ $107
NAPA clutch kit (pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch, and pressure plate): $144
NAPA master/slave/hydraulic line (pre-filled): ..................$200 (could get that down to maybe $130 if I bend the lines myself and bleed myself)
5-speed PCM from '00 XJ:..............................................$225ish from autocomputerexchange.com/
Odds and ends: ..........................................................$50 (flywheel bolts, other assorted hardware, interior pieces from a 97+ 5-speed XJ, etc)

All in all I would be looking at $1850 for the above parts. Assuming my "odds and ends" budget is low I could push up to $200 for that and be at or below $2000 for the vehicle. What do y'all think?

FWIW: I would also swap in a NP231 at the same time as the AX-15 which I would pull from my '93 XJ (I have a 2nd 231 w/ SYE to put in that Jeep) Then it's just a matter of $100 for the front axle and tossing the front driveshaft in and I will have 4x4 and will be geared properly for up to 30-31" tires

I like the plan, but I'd be leary of the "driveability" of it without some more tweaking. It looks like the fender has pushed back enough that there may be inner fender damage.

I anticipated inner fender damage and figured some time with a BFH may be enough to fix that. If not I have sheet metal and a welder laying around to help finesse everything back the way it should be.

The guy who is selling it told me that insurance listed about $1300 in parts to get it back running (and the guy had an independent mechanic check it and verify that insurance wasn't screwing him over and leaving stuff off said list). I figure that price is based on inflated cost for parts from shops but do plan on copying it all over to see what else is on the insurance list that I left out (radiator, inner fender, etc).

if she's rust free (for your area), it's not a horrible deal-- I know it would be overpriced down here unless it was completely spotless underneath, but things last twice as long down here. I'd go for it if it's not too tweaked.

Yeah, I lived in VA for a few months a couple years back and saw a bunch of XJs I wanted. I wish stuff didn't rot away up here :( Replacing (all) the floors in my '93 was a nightmare.

Though I am going to be down in VA and delaware at least a couple times over the next 2 months so if this one isn't real clean I am going to start shopping down that way and hopefully buy something a bit more rot free while down for my buddy's wedding.

One thing I like about the southwest little to no rust.

I would be curious of a couple things.

First he lists it at a 2x2. It looks like there are 4x4 emblems on the rear quarter. Hope it is a 4x4 and not a 2x4.

I wonder what went so terribly wrong that the engine was replaced at 20,000 miles. He says the body has 175xxx and the engine has 155xxx

Hmmm, I overlooked the 4x4 badge. Will have to ask if it's 2x or 4x. Thanks for catching that.

And I saw that engine replacement thing as well and was confused by it. He says the "engine has @ 155k" So I didn't know if the engine was replaced at 155k or the engine has 155k on it. I forgot to ask that question when I talked to him last night :doh:

And the company I work for is based out of SoCal. I have been tempted to take a week off after traveling out there to buy a rust free XJ and road trip it home. Haven't been out there since I started considering that option though so no such luck. (n)

He could've had a bad 0331. . .(or you could be buying one, esp if the accident took out the radiator)
Does look like a 4x4 badge

Back