• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PROBLEMS fitting interior door panel trim back on... anyone experienced?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace a (destroyed) passenger side rear view mirror recently and it was a little tough (but not horrible) getting the top edge of the interior trim panel off to bend it back enough to replace the screws... but now I'm having a HELL of a time getting it mounted back on the drip sill (like a rail it hangs from). I know that GENERALLY speaking - one should remove the entire trim panel, hang it on the drip and THEN re-fasten...*

but I'm wondering if anyone's done it this way before and if there's a good trick to use...

any hints?

*(I'd have taken the whole panel off - except that I have an MDF panel down low that is screwed and epoxied to my door (holds loudspeakers!) so that would be a huge PITA to get off and back on, and way too time consuming...

good luck, in order to pull that panel off in the first place you are supposed to remove the handles and button trim pieces, pop the plastic retainers, then pull the bottom out and slide it towards the front of the jeep. I'm not sure you can just shove it back down into the clip from the top as it tightens as it slides back. try bending the groove it sits in up top open a little bit maybe, but it won't hold as tightly after you do that anymore. :dunno:

hmm... ok well thanks for that... I was just hoping there was a clever way of prying it back 'on'... I originally removed it by prying one edge and then just forcing it out all the way along with a butter knife... will do it 'the proper way' if I hear no good tricks...

It always helps to state the year of your Jeep when asking questions. The '97+ vehicles have different interior trim than 96 and down.

92... it's annoying... I always forget because the old version of the forum let you keep all that info in your signature... oops. Now I guess you have to pay for that feature...

92... it's annoying... I always forget because the old version of the forum let you keep all that info in your signature... oops. Now I guess you have to pay for that feature...
ain't the economy a bitch?....just remove the "r" from "free" haha
You have to finesse the older panels a bit because they're more fragile and can break..
IMO, you'd be better off removing the entire panel and hanging it from the top
be carefull

GoJeep/Howto/BiXenonProjectors

Last edited:
Back