• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj U-Joint question

bonzel

NAXJA Forum User
I called advanced auto to see about some front u-joints for my 98 XJ and they said there are two different u-joint bearing sizes 1.063 and 1.188, asked me which one I needed obviously I didnt know so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this? thanks!

you need spicer 297s or 760s iirc.

1.188 unless someone swapped older shafts into the vehicle.

What you should do is go under the front end with a decent ruler and see if the circular portions of the U-joint caps (should be visible inside the steering knuckles) measure 1 1/16 across or 1 3/16. My bet is 1 3/16 but you can never be too careful.

I measured and it was 1 3/16, so I need the 1.188 replacements correct? I didnt understand the spicer 297s or 760s iirc. ??? The ones they have are neapco brute force...

Correct, you need the 1.188" replacements (1 3/16 = 1.1875, but no one makes U-joint caps that precisely)

Spicer 297s were the stock U-joint (from Spicer, other companies may use different part numbers.) Many people upgrade to Spicer 760s (or x760s, or 760xs, I don't recall) as they are stronger and therefore better for offroading. If you don't wheel yours, you probably won't have to worry about it.

Brute forces are known to blow up if you offroad or have oversize tires, but are fine for daily driving / stock size tires.

Back