• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N air filter good/bad?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at ways of getting a little bit more power out of my Jeep, future plans already include a new exhaust. Have a Banks header on already. But how do these K&N filters deal with heavy dust (I'm from AZ)? And is there a big difference in both performance and stopping dust on a drop in filter vs. the cold air cone set up? How often do you have to oil them for them to be effective? I have heard that if they dry out that they are actually worse at stopping dust than a standard paper filter... is this true? Also can you just hit them with some spray like WD40 or do you have to use their recommended oil?

they work really well at stopping dust, due to the oil but many people complain that they stop up too easily but this is generally because they stop more crap from going in your motor. clean it often and use the recomended oil. yes if they go dry they dont filter well, but this is why they are made to use the oil.

My Dad and I run K&N's on both of our ATV's (400EX and 450r) and after seeing how much crap they let through, I will never buy a K&N product again. They are always properly cleaned and oiled with K&N cleaner/oil before every ride, yet loads of crap still gets through.

My intake tube is always coated with a thin layer of dirt, and when I rebuilt my carb, the butterfly valve had dirt caked on it.

I will be switching back to a UNI filter ASAP (had one on my old 300EX, never let ANYTHING through).

Yeah yeah I know this isn't on a Jeep, but you asked about heavy dust, and I ride in some of the thickest dust around.

they work really well at stopping dust, due to the oil but many people complain that they stop up too easily but this is generally because they stop more crap from going in your motor. clean it often and use the recomended oil. yes if they go dry they dont filter well, but this is why they are made to use the oil.

I've found the opposite, they weren't good at stopping dust. Think about it, more airflow means bigger filtration holes which means more particles to let through. I ditched mine after how dirty it got so fast, and the dust layer I found on the inside of the air tube.

OP, a good clean stock air filter is a good air filter. Many on here will agree.

Green air filter. Pn 2004 , better quality.
Greenfilterusa.com
Airhog works as well.

I find paper filters work better in jeeps. They keep more dust out of the engine. And there very cheap to replace, and a no brainer spare.

For street performance, K&N style filters make more HP with more airflow.

For a good alternative to a K&N cone filter, check out the Amsoil nanofiber cone filters. I'm by no means an Amsoil guy (don't use any of their oil products) but I really like their air filters. Better flow than paper, better filtration than oiled gauze. They're dry and reusable, just hit them with an air compressor to blow off the dust.

For a good alternative to a K&N cone filter, check out the Amsoil nanofiber cone filters. I'm by no means an Amsoil guy (don't use any of their oil products) but I really like their air filters. Better flow than paper, better filtration than oiled gauze. They're dry and reusable, just hit them with an air compressor to blow off the dust.

x2. That's what I am using.

Don't know how bad or good they are, All I can coment on is after a good trail ride mine is as dirty as can be... just tired of cleaning it, letting it dry, then re oiling it... Im probably gonna get something like the amsoil filter above\

You should see lots of improvement by using a prefilter over the filter element. These prevent the majority of dust from entering the engine while still allowing sufficient airflow.

I have a K&N, but use an AEM instead. It is a dry filter and is cleanable. According to their web site, if you can believe them, they filter up to 98.5% compared to K&N 96%

I wouldnt use a K&N on my lawnmower. I had one on my MJ, after first cleaning there was dust on the inside of the intake tube. Not worth the money, or hype.

well.....i junked my factory airbox and put in a k&n pros...i did notice a sufficiant amount of power compaired to the factory filter.....it cleaned up my engien compartment.....the bad.....ive never seen such a more maintenance requird POS in my life....if the dust wont kill it the bugs....the crap it up its horrifying....your not soposed to use a air compressor to clean it......its a rip off......and not worth the money 40 bucks for a filter.......20 bucks for a regarge kit......all the down time waisted on waiting for your filter to dry....its over hyped...i wish i had my factory air box back

-Shane-

Thanks to all for your replies sounds like I will be sticking with the paper for now and checking into that Amsoil one too. And 88xj 4.0 31" thanks for the info on the ATV, I always like to hear worst case scenarios so appreciate that info. I have been in some pretty bad dust before. I don't do much "rock crawling" per say but I don't take it easy on most of my equipment either, so I like to know what works. Thanks again to all.

Since when was I 88xj 4.0 31"? :laugh3:

Glad I could help. I have some pics of my butterfly valve and intake tube on my camera I believe.. If you would like to see it let me know. :cheers:

Back