• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where does this connector go?

Rushin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody. Just put my exhaust all back together. I installed pacesetter header and borla exhaust. The problem I have now is that I can't find one of the connectors that plug into the main harness.

Here is the picture:

eb3a5272.jpg

Very confused.

Another thing I am doing is blocking off egr. The oem tube does not fit pacesetter header anymore and while trying to bend it I broke it:-/. So I am just going to try get plugs. Does anyone know what size threads and pitch it is?

Hey everybody. Just put my exhaust all back together. I installed pacesetter header and borla exhaust. The problem I have now is that I can't find one of the connectors that plug into the main harness.

Here is the picture:

eb3a5272.jpg

Very confused.

Another thing I am doing is blocking off egr. The oem tube does not fit pacesetter header anymore and while trying to bend it I broke it:-/. So I am just going to try get plugs. Does anyone know what size threads and pitch it is?
What year and what engine? Looks like 90-down RENIX on I4/I6 but I am not sure. Might take a while for an authoritative answer, this is the internet and free advice after all, but that connector looks like either the CTS or MAT sensor plug to me.

EDIT I think it's the one for the sensor just to the right of where the throttle valve cable clips onto the throttle body in your picture. If that one is already plugged in, look for another sensor like it and it will probably be unplugged.

Thanks for the reply. It is a 90 with an i6 auto tranny. Should put that into my sig. Will do later today.

I am pretty sure all the connectors up top are pluged in, I will check again tho. Its two prong connector btw.

Thanks for the reply. It is a 90 with an i6 auto tranny. Should put that into my sig. Will do later today.

I am pretty sure all the connectors up top are pluged in, I will check again tho. Its two prong connector btw.

Signatures are reserved to paid NAXJA members.

Was gonna say that... where do you think that connector goes Joe? The MAT and CPS are the only 2 position connectors of that type I know of in that general location on a RENIX, but my RENIX experience is limited to the 4cyl M/T drivetrain I am working on for a project so I'm by no means good with it.

What color are the wires? Did you start it up?

Well, there are two two-wire connectors that come out of the large loom at that point. One has a male end (same as the loose connector in the OP's photo) and the other has a female end.

The male end shown in the photo connects to the MAT sensor in the intake manifold.

The female two-wire connector connects to a male two-wire connector that runs behind the valve cover.

Now that Joe's mentioned it, it does look like the connector for your MAT (extreme right of you pic) is tucked under the heat shield.

Yeah... that's the one I was talking about. I wasn't sure if it was the MAT or CPS :dunce:

Yeah... that's the one I was talking about. I wasn't sure if it was the MAT or CPS :dunce:
CKP(CPS) is a 3-wire connector.

CKP(CPS) is a 3-wire connector.
I was :dunce: when I wrote this last post... meant CTS, as posted in my first reply.

I know on the I4 RENIX rigs, the CTS is in the water jacket on the intake manifold, but I've never worked extensively on an I6 RENIX rig. Is the CTS the one on the side of the block below the exhaust manifold on those?

My bet is the MAT sensor shown in the picture.

It's in the extreme right side of your pic next to the vacuum line. You can see the 2 wires coming out of the top. It appears that the connector is underneath the heat shield. You may need to loosen the shield bolts to pull the connector out.

The Manifold Air Temp (MAT) sensor is also called the Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor.

I was :dunce: when I wrote this last post... meant CTS, as posted in my first reply.

I know on the I4 RENIX rigs, the CTS is in the water jacket on the intake manifold, but I've never worked extensively on an I6 RENIX rig. Is the CTS the one on the side of the block below the exhaust manifold on those?

My bet is the MAT sensor shown in the picture.
The CTS is actually in the back corner of the head, a single wire connected to the sensor that is screwed in

The CTS is actually in the back corner of the head, a single wire connected to the sensor that is screwed in

Talking RENIX here.

The temperature gauge sending unit is in the head, driver's side, rear corner.

The coolant temperature sensor (CTS) is in the block, under the manifolds.

Found it. It was a sensor on the intake manifold.

So the only thing that is preventing me from being done with the car is this stupid egr. I went to napa and to home depot to find a plug to fit instead of the intake and manifolds sides.

Any idea where I can find a plug? Or what size and pitch is the thread on the egr tube fitting that goes into the intake and manifold.

Not sure on size, I would weld a slug over the exhaust manifold port, clean the metal of the intake manifold around the port and jbweld a coin or electrical box knockout slug over it. Don't start the engine till it cures fully, of course.

Not planning on touching and ruining anything on the intake thats for sure. Most likely going to have to weld on a small piece of metal on to the fitting from the egr tube to plug it and then just put it back in.

Back