• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market axle end lower control arm mounts?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
My Dana 30 lower control arm mounts are getting beat up and need to be replaced. So what has everyone done on here? Do people replace them with something else out there...and if so what? Or is everyone just reinforcing them?

The bolt hole is pretty wallowed out, and some of the bracket is starting to crack.

Is it very difficult to weld on new mounts in the right orientation...does it have to be very exact?

Thanks!

Lots of companies make Heavy Duty axle brackets, including control arm mounts.

Install the new mount on one control arm, use the other control arm to locate the axle. Swing the new mount into place and tack it down. You can also use the outline of the original welds to locate the mount.

I have a brand new set of Rusty's HD lower mounts for sale in the So Cal section $50 ? They are very nice pieces I just went a differant route.

You definitely should not waste time reinforcing them, by the sounds of it. There are tabs all over that will work. A couple of 1/4" tabs would be dandy. As for placement, they do not need to be super-precise, but you obviously want to prevent binding as much as you can.
How to do that is a matter of opinion. If the mounts that are there are still in the position you want, take some measurements in as many dimensions as you need, and go off those. Also, get the arm into the position and bolt it on before you burn it on, to be sure it will go on OK. Slight differences in angle will be absorbed in the joints. How much difference will be OK will depend on your joints.

Thanks guys. I guess I just didn't look for the right stuff. I'll try and order something of the likes from above soon. But first I need to fix the darn thing to get it moving.

Why not just make some,only a few bucks worth of steel.I've even got a template of mine that could be E-mailed.I only needed one set at the time,but its was just as easy to make 2 sets(for my other XJ).
IIRC I raised them about 3/4",it was 6yrs ago!!!!
0555607-R1-008-2A.jpg

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. Those who have welded on new lower control arm mounts, did you have any issues with burning up the axle seal? Were you worried about doing that at all?

I ordered the Claytons mounts, but I want to be sure the axle seals I'm about to install wont be ruined when I weld the mounts on next week (they aren't here yet or I'd do that first).

^thanks.

Working on pulling the differential now, with any luck I'll have new seals in by the end of the day!

The axle seals are not even close to where the LCA mounts are,dont worry about it!

Back