• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling 4.3 issues

Bubbalou

NAXJA Forum User
Took my 1985 2.8 XJ and gutted it and I have installed a 4.3 GM with 700R4 and GM NP231 transfercase. Motor is a .030 over flat top forged pistons, comp cam with TBI injection with 3 inch exhaust also 8.8 rear axle with matching 3:73 gears. 5.5 inch rubicon lift, rear is S10 bastard pack with boomerang shackles and 33 X 10.50 BF Baja racing tires.
All is well except for the cooling department. Bought a new 21 X 19 aluminum 2 core,1 inch tubes Northern Performance radiator, cross flow radiator with 3 inch tanks with GM inlet and outlet. 16 inch electric fan with fan switch in tank of radiator, tried a 180 thermostat in engine now have a 195 degree thermostat, fan cycles on and off idling or around town but at highway speeds it heats up to 230+. Slow down and temp cools off weather is cool now but summer will be here next year and I know its not right now. New radiator, new 16 lbs pond cap, coolant overflow tank, new thermostat twice 185 first now 195, new water pump spaced hood up 1 inch at hinges to see if that would help not much differant. I was told to restrict the flow on one of the hoses, maybe water was circulating to fast didnt help. Opened up cross member in lower front of radiator to allow some more air flow but all ths helped very little. Have mechanical temp gauge to know real temp, factory gauge read hot also. Had condenser installed but not working, removed it completely for more airflow no help though.
Anyone have any ideas??

Last edited:
Whats your radiator cap PSI ??,

Whats the activation temp the fan comes on at ??,

Might need to fine tune your coolant mix to get the best advantage out of it too.

Too much of the green stuff, mixed with distilled water reduces the efficiency of the cooling system ... Just got to ensure you have enough eth-gly in the mix so the radiator wont be frozen in the mornings ... when you go start the vehicle.

Leave your hood spaced up ... and fit some insulation tubing to the hood release cable between the hinges ....

Then go for a drive and see if preventing that airflow disrupting, induction air .... helps with the hi-speed temps.

The engine bay will still vent at the hood corners at low speeds ... and you will gain a bit ... in regards to radiator airflow intake at highway speeds - due to the venting action still occurring at the higher speeds ..... unlike with centrally located, rear mounted, hood vents.

My 4.0l benefits greatly set up that way with only 1/2" spacers .... improved engine bay temps / stable coolant temp in all driving conditions - whether in 30'f or 100'f+ ambient temps ...

Last edited:
Took my 1985 2.8 XJ and gutted it and I have installed a 4.3 GM with 700R4 and GM NP231 transfercase. Motor is a .030 over flat top forged pistons, comp cam with TBI injection with 3 inch exhaust also 8.8 rear axle with matching 3:73 gears. 5.5 inch rubicon lift, rear is S10 bastard pack with boomerang shackles and 33 X 10.50 BF Baja racing tires.
All is well except for the cooling department. Bought a new 21 X 19 aluminum 2 core,1 inch tubes Northern Performance radiator, cross flow radiator with 3 inch tanks with GM inlet and outlet. 16 inch electric fan with fan switch in tank of radiator, tried a 180 thermostat in engine now have a 195 degree thermostat, fan cycles on and off idling or around town but at highway speeds it heats up to 230+. Slow down and temp cools off weather is cool now but summer will be here next year and I know its not right now. New radiator, new 16 lbs pond cap, coolant overflow tank, new thermostat twice 185 first now 195, new water pump spaced hood up 1 inch at hinges to see if that would help not much differant. I was told to restrict the flow on one of the hoses, maybe water was circulating to fast didnt help. Opened up cross member in lower front of radiator to allow some more air flow but all ths helped very little. Have mechanical temp gauge to know real temp, factory gauge read hot also. Had condenser installed but not working, removed it completely for more airflow no help though.
Anyone have any ideas??

I have the same engine. Had the same cooling problems. The engine bay is not wide enough for the V engine. If you run without a hood, you will have no problems. So vent your hood, a lot and get some air flow at higher speeds. Do you have a winch in front of it too?

The cap is new, 16lbs.
Can reduce some flow and see if that directs it better.
Hey 4.3LXJ what radiator are you running?
Engine fit great, had to modify slightly the stock exhaust manifolds. They were off a 1/2 ton truck but were more like tubular shorties.

I do have a winch bumper no winch in it yet, and 2 lights on the push bar, haven't tried to run it with no hood, might try it out though.
Thanks

Back