• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slight movement of yoke up and down

DesertRunner

NAXJA Forum User
I did a small lift (around 3 inches) on last wed and thursday drove on the freeway that day noticed no vibrations. Drove on the freeway today and felt some good sized vibrations (around 65 getting worse with speed) got out when I got to my destination and checked the rear u joints there good but I noticed I have some play where the yoke slides on the tail shaft of the transfer case. It's enough to feel... I'm assuming thats bad but thought I would ask the experts before I live broke for the next two months and buy a sye.

The jeeps a 97 4dr 4.0 ax15 231 8.25 flavor

The lift is 2 inch coils (netted more ban 2 inches) out front with a main leaf added (full length with eyes cut off) and rubicon express lift shackles. Stock length shocks.

Thanks,
Chad

Last edited:
96 and up are actually the ones with the vibe issue for even low lift amounts.

Before you try solving this, make sure you are trying to solve the right problem - you probably are, but it never hurts to check. Grab your 5/16 6-point box wrench and remove the front driveshaft, then take it for a spin and see if the vibes persist. If they do, it is something to do with your rear driveshaft... if they don't, it's probably front shaft related.

You can try a transfer case drop but it may or may not solve the problem. Fairly cheap though, so it's worth it... heck just for testing purposes you can probably get away with using a stack of washers or flat stock with holes drilled in it and longer bolts. If it solves the problem, run it, if it doesn't, an SYE is probably in your future.

If there is more than like 1/8" of play up and down in the transfer case output shaft then you may need to replace the bearing. There shouldn't be that much play in the shaft.

well i have driven it several times since my first post and it has only vibrated only that one time heavily seems to be related to that exact section of road ive checked all front end componets and all are tight i have exactly 1/16" of toe out checked and rechecked it a few times!

i know my rear shocks are a bit short and wonder if they were bottoming out repeatily in that section and didnt catch it at that time. i need a longer rear brake line before i replace the rear shocks so it wil have to wait.

jeeperjohn:
i dont have a good way to measure the amount of play but 1/8 sounds about right it wasn't much but i did notice it! so some play is normal?

it didn't feel like a output shaft bearing it felt like the yoke was sloppy on the shaft...

thank you everyone for your reply's!
chad

Back