• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home brew cold air intake

here is what I did on my 94. I have since painted it black with heat resistant paint and got rid of the small filter and tied it into the tube
GetAttachment13.jpg

010.jpg

this is how i ran mine on my 90'. i chopped down the stock rubber intake tube to get rid of the ribbed crap. i used 3" abs tube but it has to be sleeved down due to it being 3" id and about 3.5" od. i beveled the edge of the inside of the sleeves. this is befor the venting tubes were hooked up when i first did it. definately worked really well i easily felt an increase in acceleration and a bit of power. id prefer to find something that has a 3" od so i dont have to sleeve it

EDIT: btw im not sure my pic worked so if it did please let me know

010.jpg

this is how i ran mine on my 90'. i chopped down the stock rubber intake tube to get rid of the ribbed crap. i used 3" abs tube but it has to be sleeved down due to it being 3" id and about 3.5" od. i beveled the edge of the inside of the sleeves. this is befor the venting tubes were hooked up when i first did it. definately worked really well i easily felt an increase in acceleration and a bit of power. id prefer to find something that has a 3" od so i dont have to sleeve it

EDIT: btw im not sure my pic worked so if it did please let me know

Yes your pic works.

I like your setup a lot. I might be using it for a guide. I've also found that Rusty's makes a bracket (CLICK) for installs like this that would help. I was thinking about doing that and building up some walls around it with heat shield.

Did you notice any mpg increase?

1intakefinished.jpg
This is my set up did a write up awhile back search my old threads dont know how to put in a link to the thread.

Not sure if the pic will work.

will move the thread up to the top.

ur pic worked cj11, and im not sure if i actually got better mpg from it, i havent really checked. im definately not the calmest driver so i could probly get a little better mpg with some granny driving. all in all my setup costed me about 4.50 for the 2ft piece of tube at lowes plus the cost of what ever filter you decide to run.

So is that 3 yj intake elbows total?
Here is a side-by-side shot of the XJ and YJ elbows, you can see how sharp the XJ angle is in comparison. (I had to switch because one of my XJ elbows tore from the stress and heat)

XJ_vs_YJ_Elbows.sized.jpg

I used the lower part from 2 of those elbows that I found at the JY. The 3rd elbow was inside a YJ but not in the engine bay, and I have no idea what it is from, but it looks to be about the same just a slightly different molding. You can see it is the one that goes from the tube into the firewall, and has a slight angle plus a twist, which helps it clear the hood there.

Back