• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking in the transmission?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a ticking coming from under my XJ. Its a 98 4.0 auto 231. I can only hear it when I am in drive like at a drivethrough, with my foot on the brake stopped. If I put it in neutral, it goes away. Sounds like it must be something in the transmission, any thoughts as to what it could be? The bolts that you tighten through the cover in the front of the transmission loosened over the summer, I tightened those up over a month ago.

So you tightened the torque converter to flexplate bolts, that's good.

Next time you hear the ticking, put your hand on the transfer case shift lever and see if that makes a difference.

Will do. For what it's worth, it didnt tick like this when the flexplate bolts were loose. Then it made a rapping sound when in neutral or park that went away when in gear.

Rapping, not fapping...

I took it for a quick trip put and checked, resting my hand on the lever made no difference. Neither did shifting it into 4x4.

When I pulled in to park it wasn't doing it, I had to sit with my foot on the brake for ~30 seconds to start hearing it. Starts off real faint and its not like a constant tick as it grows louder.

Did you find the cause for this? My XJ started doing something similar and wondering what your cause was.

With mine it's more of a grinding/vibration feel in the brake pedal while in D at a stop. If I shift to N it goes away, let my foot off the brake and move forward it goes away. My flex plate to torque converter bolts are fine and fluid is fresh and correct level. I'm hoping it's not an internal transmission problem now. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather and my poly engine mounts, I can't remember if this is what it felt like last winter but I do remember the temperature effecting the vibe level...

97 4.0 4x4 auto command-trac

No idea of the cause, Ive been working on the drivelline first so its at least driveable.

Subscribing to this thread... sounds like the same symptoms my '96 XJ Auto is showing. I have not been able to track it down as of yet. Have done the same diagnosis as mentioned here to no avail. :(

If I find mine I'll post up here and hope someone else finds it and makes my life easier... ha.

Try testing this with someone else holding the brake while you listen for the noise from underneath. You might get a more exact source of the noise that way.

Good luck.

See if revving it a tiny little bit while keeping your foot on the brake makes it better or worse.

I agree with Al Bundy... exhaust usually causes these kinds of problems. Check for it grinding against the crossmember at the trailing edge. Replacing exhaust mounts and/or tranny/engine mounts usually helps.

Also definitely try listening underneath... just don't get run over.

Try testing this with someone else holding the brake while you listen for the noise from underneath. You might get a more exact source of the noise that way.

Good luck.

I actually did try this the other day w/my wife in the Jeep, jeep running, Transmission in D... w/her foot on the brake. Couldn't get the Jeepster to make the same noise.

However, I couldn't get my XJ to duplicate the sound at that time because it was cold and had been sitting overnight. Mine get's more apparent after it warms up. I'll have to try again when it is Hot after driving it around for a while and then get back under the XJ w/the wife helping me out.

See if revving it a tiny little bit while keeping your foot on the brake makes it better or worse.

I tried this on the way home f work. While holding my left foot on the brake while at the stoplight, in Drive...'I bumped the throttle ambit and the rattle-tyle sound went away. As I accelerate that sound stays gone. It only make this sound when holding the brakes at a stop while in D.

Would this indicate anything specific?

Not really anything specific. I would check if the exhaust is hitting the leaf spring or shaackle though.

I tried this on the way home f work. While holding my left foot on the brake while at the stoplight, in Drive...'I bumped the throttle ambit and the rattle-tyle sound went away. As I accelerate that sound stays gone. It only make this sound when holding the brakes at a stop while in D.

Would this indicate anything specific?

Check to see if your exhaust pipe has very little clearance in relationship to the t/case crossmember. This could indicate bad trans and/or engine mounts.

Check to see if your exhaust pipe has very little clearance in relationship to the t/case crossmember. This could indicate bad trans and/or engine mounts.

I'll check that... but I think there is not much room between my exhaust and transmission or rear springs or gas tank.

However... I have MORE motor mounts and replaced the Transmission mount about 2 years back w/a new one f/ Autozone. It looks good, but I didn't take it off.

I do seem to go thru exhaust hangers and clamps quite a bit... they rust and break. I'll put this on my list to double check.

I have searched the forums and finally found this EXACT same description is what my 2000 Classic is doing.

However, I have upgraded my exhaust to a Gibson, and even before my upgrade, this rattling noise was present.

This happens when i come to a stoplight, too. I am so used to slipping it into Neutral when stopped for more than a moment....I read somewhere that doing this, by the way, avoids relieves uneeded stress on the tranny.

I'm thinking that the rattling could go away if I replace the transmission mount one of these (warmer) days... I'll post an update I guess.

Anyone else have this issue or know if the transmission mount replacement will fix this??

Thanks

Replacing the transmission mount will help, or perhaps fix it.

While you are in there (you'll be replacing a part 3" from it) check the exhaust bushing at the same time, and make sure the mounting hook/bar on the exhaust that goes into it is still present and in good shape.

UPDATE:

Found mine. Mine ended up being loose mounting bolts for the 'hold-down' bracket for the Radiator on my '96. I had replaced my radiator a couple Summers back and apparently some of the bolts had come loose and there was a severe vibration of that bracket that I was hearing while idling. Tightened up those bolts and the vibration went away.

Back