• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

From 2wd to 4wd Swap Q's

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I might be able to find some 2wd Cherokee's locally for cheap, and I think a 4wd swap would be pretty easy. Thing is I dont know 100% if the Automatic OD trans in the new 97 2Dr w/4.0 will accept a transfer case from a 95 4wd with same setup without modification? I would think it would, but I'm sure there is a few out there who have done this.

I already have a spare t-case w/SYE installed and could source a front D30 pretty easily. So I have parts readily available to do the swap and I think it would work.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this particular swap.

None of the automatics can take a T-case without modifications. The whole back of the trans is different. While technically there are only 2 major pieces you have to change, they are the main shaft and the tail shaft housing/transfer case adapter. Swapping the t-case adapter for the tail shaft housing is pretty easy, but swapping the main shaft requires completel transmission dis-assembly. It can be done, but the parts are expensive(5-600 new) and it's generally easier and cheaper to just get a 4wd transmission.

ttburg nailed it,doing a transmission overall is fairly easy but the rebuild kit isn't cheap and you better know at's pretty good!

Best bet, find a used 4 wd trans and bolt up the t-case.

Best bet, find a used 4 wd trans and bolt up the t-case.
X3 - This is how I did my 4wd conversion. I'm also going toassume your 2wd xj is like most I've seen and just has the trans cooler that's integrated into the radiator. If so, swap in a good stand alone trans cooler or while you're at it. It's my experience that AW4s aren't too forgiving of insane temperatures.

Thanks guys for the inputs, thats kinda what I figured. If I am gonna go through with this option, I am gonna have to gather parts slowly and build this truck up on the side. I had a feeling it would take awhile to swap over. But if I have all the parts sitting next to the vehicle ready to go in, it shouldn't take so long.

If I do this I will probably start a Build thread so someone else down the line can decide if they want to attack this particular project.

Soopergoober: When you say the extreme temperature change, do you mean the extreme drop in temperature returning to the trans, or the extreme heat from the radiator/cooler coming back?

Last edited:
What he means about "insane temps" is the transmission doesn't like to get hot. Any automatic will fry if the operating temps get to high and stay there. Excessive heat is what kills automatics. The AW-4 is a hot running transmission to begin with. Adding a cooler while you have it apart will greatly extend the life of your trans.

What he means about "insane temps" is the transmission doesn't like to get hot. Any automatic will fry if the operating temps get to high and stay there. Excessive heat is what kills automatics. The AW-4 is a hot running transmission to begin with. Adding a cooler while you have it apart will greatly extend the life of your trans.
Yes this is what I meant. Sorry, my verbage was a little vauge. Thank you for clarifying tbburg.

dont forget things like t/case shifter linkages. novak makes them, but theyre crazy expensive for what they are....

problem with converting, is you need pretty much 75% of a 4wd drivetrain, sometimes it's easy pickins at the junkyard... sometimes not so much. time is money, and 4x4 cherokee's are just as cheap usually.

I hear what you're sayin about "time is money". I'm just running different scenario's in my head and based on what kind of XJ's I'm finding around my neck of the woods and what kind of shape they're in. Based on those factors alone I can make my decision as to if its worth the time and $$ to spend to convert.

Thanks for the input guys! It'll help me make my decision easier when the opportunity arises.

Back