• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate problem?

TheCaptain

NAXJA Forum User
97 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Auto / NP242

When i am stopped at a stoplight i get a bad vibration that i can feel in my feet... not like a constant high speed vibration, more like a semi random shaking, like something is off balance. It is not consistant, sometimes it is not there at all, sometimes it is really bad. This is combined with a rattling sound that is worse inside the cab (see video #1 below), also a slight fluctuation in the RPMs.

After reading a bunch of threads here, I've come to the conclusion that it is probably the Flexplate. I tried to tighten the Flexplate to Torque Converter bolts and they all seem tight, although the Flexplate turns when i try to tighten them so I'm not sure. I started the engine so i could inspect the Flexplate while it was running and noticed it was a bit "Wobbly" (See video #2 below).

Opinions?

Video #1 - Sound from inside cab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YB6k2IlvvI

Video #2 - Flexplate "Wobbly" (stupid video cam couldn't decide what to focus on, but you should see what i mean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeU8D0WeQoc

I'm leery to diagnose it off a video, there are a lot of reasons a flex plate might appear to "wobble" I've seen them broken, bent, loose. Also the bellhousing bolts could be loose the input on the trans can be bent or have a bad bearing and all that assumes all your mounts are good. To tighten the bolts you need to jam up the plate so you can get good force on the bolts I like to use a long screwdriver. Maybe some one local can help take a look.

My father had a loud rattle that sounded like an intermittent loose clanking metal fan shroud. Took it to the dealer and they found a hairline crack in the flex plate. Perhaps its time to replace.

It was a muffler rattle. He dodged that bullet.

Dam paul, give some please..LOL.. Glad he got his fixed..Now all i need to do is get the wifes jeep up and running..Should only take me a hour to finish the run part, 4 hrs to clean it up..:gag:

I Help, just getting there. Tone took Me to His house. :)

Paul... this is a separate issue from the muffler rattle (which was actually the catalytic converter heat shield).

Sorry arron I wish I could help you out with this one but I'm a idiot when it comes down to stuff like this... I just know the basics, and how to put my foot into the gas that's about it lol :) try sending someone a PM who had a similar problem and see what they did to fix it, or what/how they traced down what was wrong.

Paul... this is a separate issue from the muffler rattle (which was actually the catalytic converter heat shield).

The rattle You said You thought was the flex plate, went away when I lifted up on the catcon. All three of of Us agreed on that. Did it start up again after that, and pushing up on that didn't fix it?

The rattle You said You thought was the flex plate, went away when I lifted up on the catcon. All three of of Us agreed on that. Did it start up again after that, and pushing up on that didn't fix it?

Yeah, this one isnt the same and is intermittent. unfortunately, it was not present when you were there and i assumed it was the Catcon. I clamped the catcon heatshield and got rid of the rattle we heard, but this one returned shortly after and is the same one i was originally concerned with. This one i can feel in my feet through the pedals.

OK
Now you know with a JEEP you need a BFH right? Today we used a BFH to fix a jeep and now it runs and drives..All be it slow ..LOL

BFH = Big F#%$ing Hammer?

I have a giant mallet i could start randomly banging on stuff with... if you think it would help. :roflmao:

LOL...It does make you fell better when your done, but then you have to fix all the stuff you just beat the crap out of..LOL..My garage is still torn to chit so i'm no help..I am trying to get it done today or monday..When i get it done we can take a swing at it..Then we can look at my backyard..Good test area..Well it is for real 4x4's..So tone will have to ride with one of us..

Lol Scott you would have to meet me down there cause I know you couldn't keep up! Arron needs a rear extended brake line before he can get crazy, the stock one is his limiting strap. No bueno!

Tone you would get stuck or lost in my hood..I plan on going out today to see if we have any land slides..It rained a little this morning

Thanks for reminding me Tone... i gotta find some cheap extended lines soon.

Tell Paul it's time to hit the garage and get to work I'm off the next 3 days!

I'm off to Ontario, Monday. I'll be on-line later in the afternoon, if You want to talk
about tuesday.

I'm also working most of the day Monday... Tuesday is looking like a free day for me so far.

Back