• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 or Chrysler 8.25?

nwcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I searched & found some info, but not all of what i'm looking for. I'm currently running 33's on a Dana 35. I have yet to wheel it since the install of the tires. Right now I have both the Ford & Chrysler axles available at junk yards nearby. I'm hoping to pick one up as a spare for when my 35 splits.
I've read that the 8.8 is a stronger axle than the 8.25, but my question is, which one is an easier install? I don't have a welder or any welding skills for that matter, so i'm hoping that they are both bolt in apps. Wrong? If you had a choice between the two, which would you do & what is necessary to swap them?
I might be hasta so sorry if it's been answered a billion times. I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Thanks

An 8.25 will be a bolt in swap. An 8.8.... not so much.
Also an 8.8 will most likely come with 4.10 gears so if you haven't upgraded the gears in your D30 you'll have to do that. The 8.25 will usually come with the same 3.55 that should be in your front end.

"which one is an easier install? I don't have a welder or any welding skills for that matter"

Considering this^ the 8.25 is your choice, unless you find a D44 from a late 80's XJ

I thought the common 8.8 ratio was 3.73 and the not so common 4.10? The 8.8 has disc brakes. What does it take to convert? Also, what kind of fab does the 8.8 require to mount up to the rear springs?

I thought the common 8.8 ratio was 3.73 and the not so common 4.10? The 8.8 has disc brakes. What does it take to convert? Also, what kind of fab does the 8.8 require to mount up to the rear springs?

You need to weld on spring perches,shock mounts,and you should weld the axle tubes to the housing(the 8.8's weak spot).

8.8's came with 3:55's,3:73's and 4;10's so you could run one of those reguardless, the 8.8 does require mounts and hareware (swapkit) roughstuff makes a great kit, if you plan on stay with 33's go with an 8.25 29spline, thay can be had cheap, the XJ44 is harder to find but is a direct bolt-in besides bigger U-bolts this will also be better braking as compared to dana35 and the 8.25 drum brakes.

Yup run the 8.25 they are pretty rugged. I have been wheeling on mine 4.56 gears, lincoln locked on 34"s for awhile no breakage. I would rather have a 8.8 but the 8.25 gets the job done.

yeah I see Xj's all the time wheeling 35's on the 8.25

personally like my 8.8, i probly would have gone with an 8.25 when i swapped out my d35 just for simplicity sake but i couldnt find a 29 spline in the jy. i will say it was very easy to put the 8.8 in. also the majority of expo 8.8s come with 3.73s, from what ive seen most of the 4.10s come from the expo sport's(2 door version) with what options i dont know. the expo 8.8s also can be found in 3.07 depending on the options(in case you are on stock gears and a 5 speed), ive only seen a few myself. due to you not having welding skills id say find a nice 8.25, get some good u bolts, and run with.

alright im tryin to swap in my 8.25 and everything worked except the driveshaft seems too long. do i need to run the driveshaft from the 8.25 donor? ive got an 89 4.0 aw4 231

What axle did you start with?

If the donor is a 95 or earlier with a 4.0/AW4/4WD (231 vs 242 does not matter) you can use its rear driveshaft. The 8.25 has a pinion about 1" longer than the d35 iirc.

There are also two lengths of 8.25 yoke, 2.75" and 3". A quarter inch shouldn't be a big deal on a 3-6" lifted rig though.

I'm a fan of the 8.25, its a tough axle! All 5 of my XJ's including the trail rig on 35's has one, my 09 HEMI Commander came from the factory with one! Thats 380hp and a 7400 towing capacity running through that rear so the Chrysler engineers had faith in it as well. That being said, there is nothing at all wrong with the 8.8 but for ease of install, go with the 8.25.

Note; the Commander 8.25 is a semi-floater and the XK is full time 4wd so the front is helping out as well.

They also used the 8.25 (I think, may be 7.25 or another chrysler rearend) in some dodge suv, think it's the nitro. Not sure on width or bolt pattern but I recognized one I saw driving by a while ago. Not sure if it is c-clip (in which case just get an xj one clearly) or non c clip though.

Back