• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a torch

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I need a small torch setup nothing very big at all just for minor cutting(burning control arm bushings out and stuff like that). I'm not looking for something that will thick steel or to weld with or anything, just basic cutting/burning.

I've seen the Benzo mapp gas setups for like 50 bucks that screw right to the bottle. I've also seen a 2 bottle setup with a hose attachment. I'm wondering if the simple benzo mapp gas setup will be good for cutting though, can you change tips on it or is that meant mostly for sweating pipes?

I would waste any money on a MAPP set-up you'll be disappointed.Best bet money-wise would be a swap meet,flea market or a yard sale.

i love my mapp torch setup, but it doesnt cut.
cant see how it's a waste of money --unless you're thinking it cuts metal--

Get a used oxy acetylene setup and don't look back. I got mine a few months back and wonder how I lived without it. I use it almost everytime I work on something.

What about something like this?

I refuse to buy anything harbor freight, especially with gas and fire involved I just don't trust their quality.

Oxy-Mapp will work for brazing and welding, but that is not a cutting head in that kit. You should take a look on craigslist for a used oxy-acetylene setup, I've seen sets like this sell in my area for about $200. Its a nice small portable setup that won't take up much room in your garage when not in use.

X2 on what asp said, once you get a torch you just don't know how you got along without it.

oh joy! i get to completely dissagree with you guys again! my oxy-acetylene setup was the very first peice of metal working equipment added to the shop... it has sat untouched for over 4 years now...

too sloppy, too messy, too dangerous. =)

oh joy! i get to completely dissagree with you guys again! my oxy-acetylene setup was the very first peice of metal working equipment added to the shop... it has sat untouched for over 4 years now...

too sloppy, too messy, too dangerous. =)

If I had a plasma at the house then I'm sure I would be in the same boat as you, but since I don't have one I'm not in your boat.... And since the OP said he wants to use it for heating and burning as well as cutting then a plasma wouldn't work. Its also 3 to 10X the cost.

A torch set is a very useful tool if you know how to use heat properly.

i dont have a plasma, allthough its 'on my list' (it'll probably be a good long while till i get one, too). i do my cutting with a porta-band (85%), a cuttoff wheel (10%), and a chop saw (5%). i find my small MAP torch is good enough for general heating, and burning out bushings, but no, it definately doesnt cut

just pointing out my experience's =)

I would vote against those "porta torch" oxy/acety kits: #1 the regulators flat out suck, and #2 for any real work (O2 hungry flame cutting) you will blow through that tiny tank in no time...

They are handy in the regard that it's easy to tote the kit along... not-so-handy when you find your regulator has crapped the bed and bled off all your gas while you weren't looking. For what I paid for the kit, and $50 regulator rebuilds, I could have put a little more $$ in and got a 'real' Smith or Victor kit. YMMV :dunno:

I'd agree with XCM to a point... I use my little MAPP kit for minor brazing/gas spot welding chores (those tanks last even less time than the little Ox/Acet tanks) but for real metal cutting, oxy/gas (acetylene or propane) or plasma is the ticket.

I've had the HF oxy/ac setup for quite a few years. All in all a good piece of equipment. The hose/regulator setup runs about $100, you then have to buy/lease the bottles (not cheap)

Check Craigslist often. I see the burglar torch sets there for 100-200 at least once a week. The bottles dont last to long but you could upgrade to a larger size when youve got the bucks.
Ron

i got my torch setup from CL, i talked the guy from 274 to 240, bottles were trash but i got them refilled and when they do that they switch them out so i got better bottles, ive had it about a month and havent run out of gas yet but the oxygen is close to dying. i love them so far, way easier than a cutting wheel on a grinder depending on what your cutting, thicker metal is easy to cut now. i use it on almost everything. you can also weld with it too if you know how so thats a plus and heat and bend metal with it also, find some big tanks for cheap on CL and get a harbor freight or northern tool brand hoses and regulators and cutting torch, you will be happy, good luck

I got my oxy/acy setup for around 5-600 new from a local welding supply place.

I also purchased this torch over the summer for cutting metal. Works amazing once you get it set correctly.

With a steady enough hand, there's almost no slag. What little there is, usually comes right off with a file or 5 seconds with a grinder.

Made these motor mount brackets with it with minimal cleanup.

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Cant stress enough how dangerous Acetylene is. I recommend an alternative fuels set-up (i.e. oxy/propane) with the right torch head to go with it. Harris is one the industry leaders in alternative fuels, as well as Victor. With the right set-up, this is actually more efficient, and light years safer. And, the propane is obviously cheaper and more readily available when its time to re-fil.

If you get an oxy/acetylene set-up, do your self a favor and learn how to properly care for the acetylene system.

~ James

Cant stress enough how dangerous Acetylene is. I recommend an alternative fuels set-up (i.e. oxy/propane) with the right torch head to go with it. Harris is one the industry leaders in alternative fuels, as well as Victor. With the right set-up, this is actually more efficient, and light years safer. And, the propane is obviously cheaper and more readily available when its time to re-fil.

If you get an oxy/acetylene set-up, do your self a favor and learn how to properly care for the acetylene system.

~ James

Yea safety is the priority that's what keeps me from buying used and also makes me want to stay with the small mini bottles.

For now though the torch is on hold since I have my compressor going, air tools are taking up my budget...

~ James
Love to hear an explanation(or theory),propane is way more hazardous(in a fire) than acetylene.

Back