• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This should be an easy one

spikeypuck

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys everywhere I read I hear that all the old 2.5l 4x4 XJ's come with 4.10 gears.
I just pulled the tag off my d35 and it reads.
3.73 41-11
Well there is a serial number above that but I don't think it means anything for the gear count. But does this read, that it has 3.73 gears and a tooth count of 41 & 11?
I am not sure and a bit curious so I figured I would ask.

I think its just the sport. This is my second one with them. Both are 1985 2.5l 1 had the ax-4 the other has the ax-5. Both have the same gears.
I guess I can only assume they are sport model. everything on both is manual no power locks or anything.

Did you work out the clutch issue?

Anybody that says that all of a particular XJ have a particular axle ratio is wrong. It was optional for the dealer to order what ever ratio they wanted. There were quite a few early XJ's that came with 4.56s as stock. My 2.5L came with 4.10s, but one I scrapped out had 3.73s.

Did you work out the clutch issue?

As far as I can tell you can't adjust the hydro clutch. I am thinking that since I will be getting a rebuilt motor mid October. I will wait till I get that then put the clutch plate, and flywheel from the blown motor on it. Hopefully that will fix it.

I might have overlooked something, but between the FSM, and Chilton there was nothing on adjusting the clutch. I asked at Baxter "local parts store" and was told that I could add or switch to a cable and have adjustment. But if I am swapping motors again soon I may as well wait. :dunno:

Ok.

Keep us posted on this beast!

Lol will do. I only got another 2.5 because I am not working. All the issued I have had already, I will only be keeping it until I get back to work and can afford to upgrade to a 4.0 :cheers:

Back