• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ wiring questions (engine-dash harness compatibility?)

1x1_Speed_Craig

NAXJA Forum User
A quick intro (from a NAXJA newb)...

My background is in CJs, and I also drive an '05 LJ. I have rebuilt a couple CJs from the ground-up. Cherokees are new to me, however, and I have been getting a crash course in XJs since my 10-year-old daughter & I picked up a project that'll be her vehicle when she gets her license. I'm very proud (her own build thread is HERE). She won't get it for free...I'm matching her dollar-for-dollar on the build, and she'll be doing a lot of the work. Her "base" vehicle is an almost rust-free '93 XJ 2-door that was given to us by a friend of mine.

In the past 5-6 weeks, I have picked up three (3) parts XJs, all running/driving vehicles that I got VERY inexpensively.
  • 1992 XJ 2-dr., 4.0L (ODBI)/AX-15 manual with 157K (runs great)
  • 1994 XJ 2-dr., 4.0L (ODBI)/AW4 auto with 242K (runs well, but transmission won't shift out of 1st gear)
  • 1996 XJ 4-dr., 4.0L (ODBII)/AW4 auto with 197K, runs rough, and wasn't maintained well (but trans shifts good, and vehicle is unmolested)
I want to use the steering column/airbag from the '96 in her XJ.
My understanding is that '95-96 models had a mechanical (vs. electrical) airbag. At this point, the '92 4.0 appears to be the best motor choice, but I'm not sure about the auto vs. manual transmission. I may have shot myself in the foot by doing so, but I already sold the computer module for the '94 4.0L auto (if I go the auto route).

I'm wondering which dash/motor harnesses to use, and if the earlier model motor harness/computer is compatible with the '96 dash harness. I'm not set on using the later-model '96 instrument cluster, but absolutely can if that's the best choice. I just need that '96 column w/airbag to be functional.

Advice/input?

In a nutshell, her XJ will be mildly built, including 31" MT tires, a budget-boost lift, XJ Dana 44 rear axle, and most likely 3.73 gearing.

Thanks,
Craig

Can't answer your question but would suggest using the front axle from the 96. I beleive it has bigger u joints on the axle shafts, however the auto's are likely to have 3:55's. Do a search to make sure. I also have a bias to the auto with the 242TC. Are they all 231's?

I *think* the 94 motor harness should plug into the 96 dash harness but I'm not sure, don't quote me on it.

I would also suggest pulling the axles out of the 96, should have 3.55s.

Any of those vehicles can be converted to manual by unplugging the transmission wiring from the main harness, tossing a gearbox in, and leaving the TCU where it is. No CEL will pop up. 91-96 tranny computers are all the same so you have the one from the 96 that you can use in the 94 if you need to.

The 91-96 instrument clusters are all the same AFAIK, with the possible exception of the gas gauge.

My advice would be to get a 92 or 94 FSM and a 95 or 96 FSM, then spend some time looking at the sections for the blinkers, emergency flashers, headlight switch wiring, cruise control wiring, and wiper controls. That will give you all the info you need to figure out if you can wire up a 95/96 multi function switch to act like the ones in the 92 and 94. I have a 95 column I intend to install in my 91 eventually, but I haven't gotten any further than buying the column and some other random parts.

242 vs 231 - you can swap the transfer case, a wiring harness (the one that goes to the TC), and the shift gate and bezel and add a bulb to the instrument cluster and you are done.

Can't answer your question but would suggest using the front axle from the 96. I beleive it has bigger u joints on the axle shafts, however the auto's are likely to have 3:55's. Do a search to make sure. I also have a bias to the auto with the 242TC. Are they all 231's?

I'll actually be mixing/matching the axles. I know the later-model ones have bigger U-joints, but since I already have an XJ D44 with a Trac-Loc & 3.73 LJ gears, I'll run that in the back. I want to swap a HP D30 into my '05 LJ, so Mira's Jeep will probably get the LP D30 (also with 3.73 gears) that's currently in my LJ.

Yes, all of the autos I have have 3.55 gears, while the two manuals I have are 3.07.

All of the parts rigs have 231s, but the '99 XJ 2-dr. winter beater I bought has a NP-242. I could swap one of the 231s in that vehicle if I wanted to use the 242 in Mira's Jeep.

I *think* the 94 motor harness should plug into the 96 dash harness but I'm not sure, don't quote me on it.

My advice would be to get a 92 or 94 FSM and a 95 or 96 FSM, then spend some time looking at the sections for the blinkers, emergency flashers, headlight switch wiring, cruise control wiring, and wiper controls. That will give you all the info you need to figure out if you can wire up a 95/96 multi function switch to act like the ones in the 92 and 94. I have a 95 column I intend to install in my 91 eventually, but I haven't gotten any further than buying the column and some other random parts.

Thanks for the input. <disclaimer>I haven't searched yet, but...</disclaimer> Are the FSMs available online anywhere?

The 91-96 instrument clusters are all the same AFAIK, with the possible exception of the gas gauge.

Actually, the '96 has regular gauges, while the base model '92 & '94 have dummy lights.

242 vs 231 - you can swap the transfer case, a wiring harness (the one that goes to the TC), and the shift gate and bezel and add a bulb to the instrument cluster and you are done.

That's what I figured. I don't know much about the 242s, but figured I'd give a "shake-out" run with it this winter, since it'll be the first winter with the XJ (I sold a 30-year-old Mercedes diesel wagon and bought the XJ instead). Don't laugh, but I store the '05 LJ in the winters to keep it out of the salt. :D

Thanks again. Any other input/suggestions/wisdom regarding the wiring questions?

Craig

Back