• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dry start/knuckle u-joint question

MuckSavage

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions.....

1. After an oil change, I'm tired of the horrendous knocking upon start-up. I disconnect the coil wire & crank it for 20 seconds, but still the noise kills me. What does everyone do?

2. I noticed the tell-tale rust around one of my steering knuckle u-joints. My XJ has 180k miles, never been swamped, driven mostly on-road. Given the age, would you replace wheel/unit bearings while you're tearing into it? I should ad that I have no wheel wobble issues.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

1. Partially fill the oil filter before putting it back on.
2. I would replace the wheel bearings with 180k on them as long as you are in there.

1. Partially fill the oil filter before putting it back on.
2. I would replace the wheel bearings with 180k on them as long as you are in there.

1. Agree, also, the longer the filter is off/oil pan is empty the QUICKER the oil pump will lose its prime

2. Agree, unless you just like working in the same area time and again.

3. I would also add that the use of a QUALITY oil filter with a silicone anti-drain back valve is necessary with our upside down vertical and horizontal mounted oil filters. Wix or NAPA Gold (same filter) would be my choice.

4. IF you have to drop the oil pan in the future to replace your RMS it would be a good time to consider a new high-volume pump.

Back