• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a method to telling what is causing the clunk under my XJ when turning slow? Meaning how can I test a ball joint? How do I tell if a unit bearing has failed? Or a tie rod end, ujont, ect? Everything seems tight to me when I'm under the XJ pulling on the parts.

Is there a method to telling what is causing the clunk under my XJ when turning slow? Meaning how can I test a ball joint? How do I tell if a unit bearing has failed? Or a tie rod end, ujont, ect? Everything seems tight to me when I'm under the XJ pulling on the parts.

Where is the clunk coming from? Does it happen only when turning one direction but not the other? Does it happen in reverse?

Control arm bushings can cause this, as can rear shock bushings - but there's a whole host of stuff that could be responsible. More info would be helpful.

jack up each front wheel separately and see if you can make it wobble with your hands

if it moves up and down it's probably ball joints

if it moves front and back it's probably control arm bushings

if it moves all over it's probably the hubs

while it's off the ground, grab a hold of various parts and give them a tug to see if anything moves around. don't put yourself in danger here, cars fall off jacks all the time.

also inspect the u-joints for rust/grime that would indicate the bearings are dry or destroyed

Where is the clunk coming from? Does it happen only when turning one direction but not the other? Does it happen in reverse?

Control arm bushings can cause this, as can rear shock bushings - but there's a whole host of stuff that could be responsible. More info would be helpful.

It would seem to be only slow when turning like out of the driveway. It's not a click or ratcheting sound as a worn ujoint my make. It's just a single "clunk" then that's it.

jack up each front wheel separately and see if you can make it wobble with your hands

if it moves up and down it's probably ball joints

if it moves front and back it's probably control arm bushings

if it moves all over it's probably the hubs

while it's off the ground, grab a hold of various parts and give them a tug to see if anything moves around. don't put yourself in danger here, cars fall off jacks all the time.

also inspect the u-joints for rust/grime that would indicate the bearings are dry or destroyed

Thanks. I'll give a shot. I am unsure of the condition of any of the parts.

Sounds simple, but sometimes my coil spring will do a single clunk if, for whatever reason is got flexed and pops back into place.

Usually happens as I pull out of my drive way (downhill making a left turn onto the flat road) which causes articulation.

Just a thought.

Check the bolts that fasten the track bar mounts onto the frame, and onto the front axle.
See if there is any evidence of the mount shifting position on the frame (ie: freshly exposed paint, wear marks, etc.).

Check the bolts that fasten the track bar mount onto the frame. Check the mount
on the front axle, too. Check for any evidence of the mount(s) shifting position
on the frame (ie: freshly exposed paint, wear marks, etc.).

It would seem to be only slow when turning like out of the driveway. It's not a click or ratcheting sound as a worn ujoint my make. It's just a single "clunk" then that's it.

I got the same problem when turning right out of a parking lot/driveway at slow speeds. Its been there through new trackbar, new control arms, new tie rod drag link w/ good ends, new hub on the left side(where its comin from) etc. I can basically narrow it down to a balljoint on the left side. Since its the only thing i havent messed with at this point. Its been to les schwab several times and theyve never mentioned it but then again they arent the smartest tools in the shed sometimes lol.

EDIT: Just noticed this is fairly old lol oops.

Note on checking Ball Joints..... Stick a pry bar or 2x4 with wedge under the tire off the ground to check for up and down movement. Sometimes your own strength is not enough for bad ball joints to show their faults.

Back