• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guages and light issues

D_Sweet

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 98 jeep cherokee and after my tank gets low my guages go out until after I run it with a full tank and restart it. The guy before me installed 4h 100-watt headlights himself. Not to sure how he did it but he said something about not rewireing the whole system. With these nice headlights, however, I notice my reverse lights not working. When I have the lights on I cannot turn the lights off untill i have the switch in the off position and turn the car off. After my last fill-up (and the guage routine) my engine light turned on. Thinking about taking it in just to make sure everything gets done right but that would probably require lots of money I dont want to spend. Any suggestions? I was thinking about taking the guages off and cleaning the back of the clusters but i dont think that is the problem...

When I have the lights on I cannot turn the lights off until i have the switch in the off position and turn the car off.

If the PO used relays when he wired up the system (and he should have) - this is a common occurrence when you use cheap relays. Replace the relays with better ones and this should go away. I had the same problem when I wired up my new headlight harness with cheap relays. Good relays allow the lights to turn off without shutting down the vehicle.

With these nice headlights, however, I notice my reverse lights not working.

This could just be a dirty Neutral Safety Switch. Do you know when the NSS was last cleaned? I'd pull it and clean it to be certain.

Thank you for the suggestions. I probably wont get to get much done until later in the week due to school and work but i can probably get what i need. I will try it out. Is it possible that the guages are failing because of the relays?

Back