• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring vs. Spacers

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any performance differences in the way an XJ handles and drives from installing an 8" coil spring vs. installing a 6.5" spring plus a 1.5" spacer? Right now have a 4.5" spring with a 2" and a .75" spacer and plus the stock coil isolator and I think by switching all the spacers out to only a coil that my jeep may handle better on the road.

Thanks!

You shouldn't stack spacers. If your buying a new pair of coils, get the size you need, cost isnt that much different. But If youve got a coil, adding a 2' poly spacer really doesn't make a difference in handling (no more then a bigger coil).

If your concerned with road handling get better shocks and sway-bars.

There does exist a point of deminishing returns....

mattlift_parts_12incoilspacers01.jpg

Yeah, I feel like the more spacers you stack up, the more wiggly and sloppy the front axle and the suspension would be.

Control arms and the track bar control axle movement. The springs/spacers hold the chassis above the axle.
Spaces will have no other effects on handling that a spring would, given height and spring rates were constant.

Good point Anarchy...I just ordered IRO 8" coils to replace my 4.5" Rustys coil & 2.75" spacing. What are the positive and negatives of ride performance doing this coil swap like I have planned? I know one positive is more flex. I spoke with the head tech at IRO and he said that he is using the same coil and he loves the ride quality. He said they are stiffer than the Rusty's but offer more travel before the spring bottoms, obviously. So basically I would equate this as better ride quality for almost the same lift height. Am I wrong?

Back