• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(ive looked) REAR FF60 info

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
i have looked on here and on pirate and cant find suitable info that im looking for.....

REAR...not front (like all the threads) REAR dana60

I need to know approximately what the strength of a STOCK rear FF60 is:
as compared to other rear axles
comparative to tire size

And i need to know if you feel the 35 spline upgrade is worthwhile....

yes, that means if you havent run a REAR 60, or some sort of direct knowledge, your input is less than useful. heresay and assumptions do me no good, TIA

My friend Carmelo broke a FF REAR D60 shaft (30-spline) on 35x15.50 TSLs his FIRST time out wheeling the thing.

It was in a '79 J10 Honcho. AMC 360/TH400 with 3.73s and lockrights in the axles.

I wouldn't bother with the stock shafts.

skinnt petal kinda guy?
the 35 spline swap if fairly cheap between a spool and shafts, just sourcing spares is the pain, was trying to keep it junkyard friendly lol...
i also run a 4.0 auto and will 5.38's and i avoid the skinny pedal (ran 35's w beadlocks on stock shafts in alocked f/r 30/8.25 combo)

I need to know approximately what the strength of a STOCK rear FF60 is:
as compared to other rear axles
comparative to tire size
That is going to depend on the year and spline count on that stock D60. There are way to many options; 16 spline, 30 spline, 35 spline, FF, SF.
I very much dislike "you can run XX" tire on a XXXXX axle" comments . It really depends on way way to many variables.
the 35 spline swap if fairly cheap between a spool and shafts
Only if you have the correct spindle bore. For a lot of rear D60s a 35 spline shaft is not a direct swap. Can it be maybe to work? Yes, I did so.
was trying to keep it junkyard friendly lol...
Find another axle. ;)

Last edited:
skinnt petal kinda guy?
the 35 spline swap if fairly cheap between a spool and shafts, just sourcing spares is the pain, was trying to keep it junkyard friendly lol...
i also run a 4.0 auto and will 5.38's and i avoid the skinny pedal (ran 35's w beadlocks on stock shafts in alocked f/r 30/8.25 combo)

x2 with Bill's (RCman) post.

I figured you were talking about the '70s rear D60 you got with your D44 front. I'd imagine it would be 30-spline, but again like Bill said check it out there were some weird spline counts throughout the years (i.e., the rear FF60 out of the E-350 I got is 32-spline).

Yes he likes the skinny pedal. Do what you want, but I wouldn't bother. You might as well run a rear D44 at that point (assuming yours is a 30-spline version).

You might want to ask around Pirate to confirm. But i do believe (depending on the width of your 60) that if you convert it to 35 spline, you can use stock (junk yard) 14 bolt shafts.

You might want to ask around Pirate to confirm. But i do believe (depending on the width of your 60) that if you convert it to 35 spline, you can use stock (junk yard) 14 bolt shafts.

14 bolt shafts are only 30 spline, maybe you could broach the side gears to make it work but I don't know.

most (by far) full float 60's are 30 spline. (the same size as in dana 44's and -GASP- the super35) the ff keeps the weight off the vehicle off the shafts which helps in terms of strength

35 spline was available in some year/model/trim of trucks, but i have never come across em' or hearing of anyone come across them.

i have seen people successfully bore spindles using a couple hole saws.

i wanted cheap and easy so i found a semifloat 60 and simply bought 35 spline alloys for it and slid em' in. should be fine on my radial 35's:greensmok

Rear FF60s from the Ford E350s are 32-spline from the factory, however they have D70 spindles/hubs so you can slide 1.5" diameter 35 spline shafts right in provided you get the right side gears or locker.

They also have larger tubes (3.5" diameter .375" wall), a smooth bottomed diff, and the '99+ came with disc brakes and an internal e-brake.

I run a ff 60, the spindles were bored out with a hole saw and i have the cheap yukon 35 spline shafts, $100 per side from complete offroad. never broken on 36" tires.

well ya, the other axle options are nice, but im being handed the 60 so if i could just make that work then id be happy.
its a 30 spline. FWIW.
i was considering just getting 35spline alloys and spool and just boring out the splindle for it to accept the 35 spline shafts....

im gonna be running a 92 e350 rear 60, mopar maniac has already posted the specifics about it, heres a comparison on shaft sizes
35 spline 60, 30 spline 60 and 27 spline 30
won_tang_075.jpg

the 30 spline 60 shaft is the same size as the 30 shafts besides the splned section, just get a e350 axle tss in some 35 spline side gears and shafts then be done with it

well ya, the other axle options are nice, but im being handed the 60 so if i could just make that work then id be happy.
its a 30 spline. FWIW.
i was considering just getting 35spline alloys and spool and just boring out the splindle for it to accept the 35 spline shafts....

Here's what Bill (RCman) did.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933793

Just so you know what you're in for. I'd just go get an E-350 D60 and slap some 35-spline shafts/locker in it.

well that there sounds like a bit more work than i had originally thought it would be. thanks for the link. aside form boring is there another option, or is tossing the rear 60 in the best interest....

well that there sounds like a bit more work than i had originally thought it would be. thanks for the link. aside form boring is there another option, or is tossing the rear 60 in the best interest....
It's not like it is difficult/hard work, just time consuming and you'll end up with stronger arms when you are done. :D

I only did it for the same reason you are considering, it was a "free" axle.

14 bolt shafts are only 30 spline, maybe you could broach the side gears to make it work but I don't know.

Well crap I thought they where 35 spline. What I know, I run a 9 inch:eeks1:

I'm gonna put a vote in for the 60. You can break an axle easily if your are dumb...or have a bad accident. I have seen a 35 spline 9" destroyed with 35's and a 4 bngr in a 2200# rig. A lot of folks think rockwells are the bomb but those break too and even the MIGHTY 14 bolt...watched one grenade in a YJ with only puny little 38" tires.

For Junkyard friendly a dodge rear D-60 from nearly any (I say nearly any as there may be some odd option rigs out there) 3/4 ton from 1967ish to 1993 will BOLT IN to an XJ. The ONLY mods needed are to shorten the driveshaft and either use a bastard joint at the pinion or put a 1310 yoke on the pinion. (and they do make a 1310 D-60 yoke).

I have witnessed one of these take a fall from the XJ being nose down butt end in the air...perpendicular to the ground and come down hard on the rocks (upper 2 inTellico RIP) on the throttle with 35" boggers and not break. The XJ is MUCH lighter and has a lot less TQ from the motor than the J20 mentioned earlier in this post. You're talking at least 1000# (probably more) in weight difference and 80+- ft lbs of TQ less from the 4.0L vs the 360 in the FSJ.

We have purhcased these axles for as cheap as $150 from the junkyard and a friend of mine obtained one for free. For that money...by the time you put in 35 spline shafts should you REALLY need them you'd still be at a fairly cheap BOLT IN axle.

I'm gonna put a vote in for the 60. You can break an axle easily if your are dumb...or have a bad accident. I have seen a 35 spline 9" destroyed with 35's and a 4 bngr in a 2200# rig. A lot of folks think rockwells are the bomb but those break too and even the MIGHTY 14 bolt...watched one grenade in a YJ with only puny little 38" tires.

For Junkyard friendly a dodge rear D-60 from nearly any (I say nearly any as there may be some odd option rigs out there) 3/4 ton from 1967ish to 1993 will BOLT IN to an XJ. The ONLY mods needed are to shorten the driveshaft and either use a bastard joint at the pinion or put a 1310 yoke on the pinion. (and they do make a 1310 D-60 yoke).

I have witnessed one of these take a fall from the XJ being nose down butt end in the air...perpendicular to the ground and come down hard on the rocks (upper 2 inTellico RIP) on the throttle with 35" boggers and not break. The XJ is MUCH lighter and has a lot less TQ from the motor than the J20 mentioned earlier in this post. You're talking at least 1000# (probably more) in weight difference and 80+- ft lbs of TQ less from the 4.0L vs the 360 in the FSJ.

We have purhcased these axles for as cheap as $150 from the junkyard and a friend of mine obtained one for free. For that money...by the time you put in 35 spline shafts should you REALLY need them you'd still be at a fairly cheap BOLT IN axle.
the shaft is still the same size as a d30 it will not live on the rocks maybee in that cat shit is fl

Back