• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost and ride quality

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about a budget boost for my 99XJ, but I've read in some threads here and elsewhere that they are actually horrible in regards to ride quality. Just how bad are they in your option?

Putting a coil spacer in the front, since you are reusing the factory coil spring, doesn't change ride quality at all. If you use an add-a-leaf (aal) in the rear, it could ride stiffer. If you use a longer rear shackle, it won't affect ride quality because the spring hasn't been changed.

I just got finished doing what was supposed to be 2" on my '89. It turned out to be almost 4", but mine still had the stock suspension and was sagging quite a bit. I used the v8 GC coils and an extra stock isolator and got a much newer set of springs out of the JY and added my old main leaf to that pack. I also got some shackles from a commanche to level it out. I have around $60 bucks in all of it.

As far as ride quality it is MUCH better than my wore out springs and leaf pack. It is a little rougher than before, but it does not squat on accel real bad stays much more level in corners, and still seems to have decent flex. I have not had much chance to play with it, but I am very happy and it was CHEAP. :)

When I had got the jeep it just got new shocks on it so I just did the cheapo bar pin eliminators (got the extra parts to do the front as well from the same JY jeep that I got the leaf springs from) front and back so that did not have to get new new ones.

Mine had around 140 on the odometer, but was pulled behind an RV for who knows how many more. It runs great but has suspension issues. My local JY sells springs for $5 each. I just picked the best set I could find (off an '00) and used them with my main leaf minus the eyes. Seems just fine to me. It may wear out fast, but for $10 and about $12 in parts from a spring house I could do it again several times over for less than a new set of springs. To each his own though. If you want cheap that is the way it works out. If you want nice then you break out the wallet. My wallet is a little too thin for a beater to get the new stuff.

Search each of those. It's been covered many times. Blocks and AAL are undesirable, shackles or new leafs/bastard pack are the way to go. A quick search will give you many results detailing each. :)

Pros: cheap, more arch, lift, hanlde more weight
Cons: more arch means your rear shackle angle gets reduced making it take more weight to kick it out to the rear. Not severe with just a couple of inches, but adds up quick. stiffer - less comfortable, less flex potentially possible choppy and loss of contact with the ground at speed.

Blocks are cheap but can quickly attribute to axle wrap

Shackles do add lift quickly but many times hasten the demise of your currently worn out springs.

I did a combination of xj-xj bastard pack and shackles to get what i feel was a good CHEAP compromise of added durability, lift, hauling, and flex. You have to weigh the pros and cons, read and ask ?s like you are doing, see what you feel comfortable with and then make your own descision. My answer or Joe Blows answer may or may not work for you and your situation.

Back