• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Hub Assembly question

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it safe on the front wheel hub assemblies on a Cherokee to drive without your axle shafts in? Let me rephrase, does driving your Jeep without your front axle shafts cause any harm to the wheel hub assemblies where the shaft would normally go through?

It is fine if you leave the stub shaft in. That is what holds the bearing together. If you run it without the stub shaft then your wheel will fall off going down the road.

Do you think that rolling the jeep a few feet without any part of the axle shaft but the wheel assembly installed would cause the bearing to separate?

possibly, it realy aint that hard to toss a stub in

Do you think that rolling the jeep a few feet without any part of the axle shaft but the wheel assembly installed would cause the bearing to separate?
Most likely. This happened to me when I broke an axle shaft. It only took 20 feet for the bearing top separate and destroy my brakes and knuckle.

Holy moly! Will you believe that I drove up and down the freeway, up hills around corners, etc. without it falling off, but it was getting darn close especially with the 32" tires! I think my brake caliper was holding it on. haha

Holy moly! Will you believe that I drove up and down the freeway, up hills around corners, etc. without it falling off, but it was getting darn close especially with the 32" tires! I think my brake caliper was holding it on. haha
your brake caliper was NOT holding it on, you better consider yourself very lucky to not be dead, there been a few deaths cause of this

Back